Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
WikipediaAudio is not affiliated with Wikipedia or the WikiMedia Foundation.
The "Washington immigrant ancestor and "great-grandfather of President "George Washington was "John Washington, who was born in "Tring, "Hertfordshire, "England, in 1631 and arrived in the "Colony of Virginia in 1657 after being shipwrecked.
George Washington's immediate ancestry entirely traces back to England, other than a great-great-great-grandfather, "Nicolas Martiau, a "Huguenot from "Île de Ré, "France and naturalized "Englishman, who arrived at Virginia aboard the Francis Bonaventure in 1620.
This table sets out the ancestry of President "George Washington for five generations, numbered according to the "Ahnentafel genealogical numbering system.
|Ancestors of George Washington
- ^ Moncreiffe "of that Ilk, Sir Iain; Pottinger, Don (1953). Simple Heraldry. Edinburgh: Thomas Nelson & Sons. p. 32. "ISBN "0171440145.
- ^ a b c d e f Frank E. Grizzard (2002). George Washington: A Biographical Companion. ABC-CLIO. p. 5. "ISBN "978-1-57607-082-6.
- ^ Merrow Egerton Sorley, ed. (1935). Lewis of Warner Hall: The History of a Family, Including the Genealogy of Descendants in Both the Male and Female Lines, Biographical Sketches of Its Members, and Their Descent from Other Early Virginia Families. Genealogical Publishing Co. p. 31. "ISBN "978-0-8063-0831-9.
- ^ Edmund Jennings Lee (16 June 2008). Lee of Virginia, 1642-1892: Biographical and Genealogical Sketches of the Descendants of Colonel Richard Lee. Heritage Books. p. 545. "ISBN "978-0-7884-2103-7. The Ball Family
- ^ John W. Wayland (June 2009). The Washingtons and Their Homes. Genealogical Publishing Com. p. 332. "ISBN "978-0-8063-4775-2.
- ^ Earl Leon Werley Heck (1928). Colonel William Ball of Virginia: the great-grandfather of Washington. S. M. Dutton. pp. 20–.
- ^ a b "Pope Ancestry". The William and Mary Quarterly. 24 (3): 194. January 1916. "doi:10.2307/1915129.
- ^ New England Historic Geneaological Society Nexus. 4–5. New England Historic Genealogical Society. 1987. p. 24. Augustine Warner (1611-1674) of Norwich, England, and Warner Hall & (13) Mary Towneley (1614-1662), originally of Stone Edge, Lancashire.
- ^ a b Frances M. Smith (1909). Colonial Families of America. F. Allaben genealogical Company.
- ^ a b From Jamestown to Texas: A History of Some Early Pioneers of Austin County the Colonial Capitol of Texas. iUniverse. October 2002. p. 384. "ISBN "978-0-595-24223-8.