|Founded||November 29, 1945|
|Products||Motorcycles, "three-wheeler vehicles and cars|
|Revenue||₹226.8759 billion (US$3.5 billion) (2015–16)|
|₹35.6254 billion (US$560 million) (2015–16)|
Number of employees
|9,119 (March 2014)|
Bajaj Auto Limited is a global two-wheeler and three-wheeler manufacturing company. Bajaj Auto manufactures and sells motorcycles, "scooters and "auto rickshaws. Bajaj Auto is a part of the "Bajaj Group. It was founded by "Jamnalal Bajaj in "Rajasthan in the 1940s. It is based in "Pune, "Mumbai, with plants in "Chakan (Pune), Waluj (near "Aurangabad) and "Pantnagar in "Uttarakhand. The oldest plant at Akurdi (Pune) now houses the "R&D centre 'Ahead'.
On May 2015, its "market capitalisation was ₹640 billion (US$10 billion), making it India's 23rd largest publicly traded company by "market value. The "Forbes Global 2000 list for the year 2012 ranked Bajaj Auto at 1,416.
Bajaj Auto came into existence on 29 November 1944 as M/s Bachraj Trading Corporation Private Limited. It started off by selling imported two- and three-wheelers in India. In 1959, it obtained a licence from the "Government of India to manufacture two-wheelers and three-wheelers and obtained Licence from Piaggio to manufacture Vespa Brand Scooters in India and started making Vespa 150 scooters, it became a public limited company in 1960. In 1970, it rolled out its 100,000th vehicle. In 1977, it sold 100,000 vehicles in a financial year. In 1985, it started producing at Waluj near "Aurangabad. In 1986, it sold 500,000 vehicles in a financial year. In 1995, it rolled out its ten millionth vehicle and produced and sold one million vehicles in a year.
With the launch of motorcycles in 1986, the company has changed its image from a scooter manufacturer to a two-wheeler manufacturer.
According to the authors of Globality: Competing with Everyone from Everywhere for Everything, Bajaj has operations in 50 countries creating a line of bikes targeted to the preferences of entry-level buyers.
Bajaj manufactures and sells motorcycles, scooters, auto-rickshaws and most recently, cars. Bajaj Auto is India's largest exporter of motorcycles and three-wheelers. Bajaj Auto's exports accounted for approx. 35% of its total sales. 47% of its exports are made to Africa. Boxer motorcycle is the largest selling single brand in Africa.
Motorcycles in production include the "Platina, "Discover, "Pulsar and "Avenger and "CT 100. In "FY 2012-13, it sold approximately 3.76 million motorcycles which accounted for 31% of the market share in India. Of these, approximately 2.46 million motorcycles (66%) were sold in India and remaining 34% were exported.
It is the world's largest manufacturer of 3-wheelers and accounts for almost 84% of India's three-wheeler exports. During the FY 2012-13, it sold approx. 480,000 three-wheelers which was 57% of the total market share in India. Out of these 480,000 three-wheelers, 53% were exported and remaining 47% were sold in India.
In 2010, Bajaj Auto announced cooperation with "Renault and "Nissan Motor to develop a US$2,500 car, aiming at a "fuel efficiency of 30 kilometres per litre (85 mpg‑imp; 71 mpg‑US) (3.3 L/100 km), or twice an average small car, and carbon dioxide emissions of 100 g/km.
On 3 January 2012, Bajaj auto unveiled the "Bajaj RE60, a mini car for intra-city urban transportation. The target customer group will be Bajaj's three-wheeler customers. According to its Managing Director Rajiv Bajaj, the RE60 powered by a new 200 cc rear mounted petrol engine will have a top speed of 70 kilometres per hour (43 mph), a mileage of 35 kilometres per litre (99 mpg‑imp; 82 mpg‑US) and carbon dioxide emissions of 60 g/km.
Bajaj Auto bought a controlling stake in the Tempo Firodia company, renaming it "Bajaj Tempo". Germany's "Daimler-Benz, a long-time collaborator with Firodia because of their ownership of the original Tempo works in Germany, owned 16% of Bajaj Tempo. Daimler sold their stake back to the Firodia group in 2001, meaning that they once again held a controlling interest, with BAL retaining 24% of the shares. It was agreed that Bajaj Tempo would gradually phase out the use of the "Tempo" brand name, as it still belonged to Mercedes-Benz. The name of the company was changed to Force Motors in May 2005, dropping "Bajaj" as well as "Tempo", over the objections of Bajaj Auto with whom the company shares a long history as well as a compound wall.
In November 2007, Bajaj Auto acquired 14.5% stake in "KTM Power Sports AG (holding company of KTM Sportmotorcycles AG). The two companies have signed a cooperation deal, by which KTM will provide the know-how for joint development of the water-cooled four-stroke 125 and 250 cc engines, and Bajaj will take over the distribution of KTM products in India and some other Southeast Asian nations. As on 31 March 2013, Bajaj Auto held 47.96% stake in the company.
Bajaj and Kawasaki have ended their 33-year alliance in India following deepening of ties between the latter and its Austrian partner KTM. Bajaj Auto had an alliance with Kawasaki for the sale and after sales service of Kawasaki motorcycles through its Probiking, a premium bike dealership network, since 2009. These Probiking dealerships were later converted to KTM dealerships. Bajaj Auto Ltd. made a technical assistance agreement with Kawasaki Japan in 1984, and since then it had cooperated to expand production and sales of motorcycles in India.
The demerger of Bajaj Auto Ltd into three corporate entities—Bajaj Finserv Ltd (BFL), Bajaj Auto Ltd (BAL), and Bajaj Holdings and Investment Ltd (BHIL)—was completed with the shares listing on 26 May 2008.
Bajaj Auto's equity shares are listed on "Bombay Stock Exchange where it is a constituent of the "BSE SENSEX index, and the "National Stock Exchange of India where it is a constituent of the "CNX Nifty.
On 30 Sep 2015, 49.29% of the equity shares of the company were owned by the promoters Bajaj Group and the remaining were owned by others.
|Shareholders (as on 30-Sep-2015)||Shareholding %|
|Mutual Funds, FI's and Insurance Companies||08.13%|
|Foreign Institutional Investors||14.25%|
|Foreign Portfolio Investments Corporation||03.51%|
Bajaj Auto had a total of 8,036 employees as of 31 March 2013, of which 51 were women (0.63%) and 25 were differently-abled (0.31%). It spent ₹6.5 billion (US$100 million) on employee benefit expenses during the FY 2012–13. The company is headed by "Rahul Bajaj, whose net worth was around US$2 billion in March 2013.
The top-three players such as market leader Bajaj Auto, second largest manufacturer Piaggio and Mahindra and Mahindra […].
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bajaj Group.|