WikipediaAudio is not affiliated with Wikipedia or the WikiMedia Foundation.
This bibliography of sociology is a list of works, organized by subdiscipline, on the subject of "sociology. Some of the works are selected from general anthologies of sociology; other works are selected because they are notable enough to be mentioned in a general history of sociology or one of its subdisciplines.
Sociology studies "society using various methods of empirical investigation to understand human "social activity, from the "micro level of individual "agency and interaction to the "macro level of systems and "social structure.
- Puts forward a thesis that "Puritan "ethic and "ideas had influenced the development of "capitalism. However religious devotion usually was accompanied by rejection of mundane affairs including economic pursuit. Why was that not the case with Protestantism? Weber addresses that "paradox in that work.
- A case study of suicide rates amongst "Catholic, "Protestant and "Jewish populations, distinguished sociological analysis from psychology or philosophy. Also a major contribution to "structural functionalism.
- — (2008) . Cladis, Mark S., ed. Les formes élémentaires de la vie religieuse ["The elementary forms of religious life]. Translated by Carol Cosman (Reissue ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. "ISBN "978-0-19-954012-9.
- — (1982) . Les Règles de la Méthode Sociologique [The rules of sociological method] (in French). transl. by W. D. Halls with an introduction by Steven Lukes (1st American ed.). New York, N.Y.: Free Press. "ISBN "978-0-02-907940-9.
"Demography is the "statistical study of "human "population. It encompasses the study of the size, structure and distribution of these populations, and spatial and/or temporal changes in them in response to "birth, "migration, "aging and "death.
"Economic sociology attempts to explain "economic phenomena. It overlaps with "economics but concentrates on the roles of social relations and institutions.
- "Tocqueville, Alexis De (2004) [1835/1840]. "Zunz, Olivier, ed. "Democracy in America. Translated by "Arthur Goldhammer. The Library of America. "ISBN "1-931082-54-5.
- — (1955) . "The Old Regime and the French Revolution. Translated by Stuart Gilbert. New York: Anchor Books.
- "Durkheim, Emile (1997) . De La Division Du Travail Social ["The division of labor in society] (1st paperback ed.). New York: Free Press. "ISBN "978-0-684-83638-6.
- "Simmel, George (2004) . "The Philosophy of Money. Translated by David Frisby. Psychology Press. "ISBN "978-0-415-34172-1.
- "Weber, Max (1978) . "Economy and Society. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- "Polanyi, Karl (1944). "The Great Transformation: the political and economic origins of our time. Beacon Press. "ISBN "978-0-8070-5643-1.
- "Hirschman, Albert O (1982). "Rival Interpretations of Market Society: Civilizing, Destructive, or Feeble?". Journal of Economic Literature. 20 (4): 1463–1484.
- "Granovetter, Mark (1985). "Economic Action and Social Structure: The Problem of Embeddedness". The American Journal of Sociology. 91 (3): 481–510. "doi:10.1086/228311.
- "White, Harrison C. 2002. Markets from Networks: Socioeconomic Models of Production. Princeton: Princeton University Press
- "Smelser, Neil and Richard Swedberg (eds.). 2005 (2nd ed.). The Handbook of Economic Sociology.
- "Boltanski, Luc; Chiapello, Ève (2005). The New Spirit of Capitalism. Verso.
- "Boltanski, Luc; "Thévenot, Laurent (2006). On Justification. The Economies of Worth. Princeton University Press.
"Industrial sociology is the sociology of "technological change, "globalization, labor markets, work organization, "managerial practices and "employment relations.
"Environmental sociology studies the relationship between society and environment, particularly the social factors that cause environmental problems, the societal impacts of those problems, and efforts to solve the problems.
- Hannigan, John A. (1995). Environmental sociology : a social constructionist perspective (Reprint ed.). London: Routledge. "ISBN "978-0-415-11255-0.
- Argues that a society's willingness to recognize and solve environmental problems depends more upon the way these claims are presented by a limited number of interest groups than upon the severity of the threat they pose.
- Schnaiberg, Alan; Gould, Kenneth Alan (2000). Environment and society : the enduring conflict. Caldwell, NJ: Blackburn. "ISBN "1-930665-00-8.
- Demonstrates how our global economy requires increasing levels of economic expansion, which in turn requires increasing withdrawals for the natural environment.
- Michelson, William (2002). Dunlap, Riley E., ed. Handbook of environmental sociology (1st published. ed.). Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press. "ISBN "978-0-313-26808-3.
- Provides an overview of the field of environmental sociology and its various research emphases.
- "Bem, Sandra Lipsitz. 1994. Lenses of Gender: Transforming the Debate on Sexual Inequality. Yale University Press.
- "Chodorow, Nancy. 1978 . The Reproduction of Mothering. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- "Collins, Patricia Hill. 2006. "From Black Power to Hip Hop: Racism, Nationalism, and Feminism
- "Collins, Patricia Hill. 2005. "Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism 
- "Connell, R. W. 1987. Gender and Power: Society, the Person, and Sexual Politics. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- "Connell, R. W. 2002. Gender: Short Introductions. Blackwell.
- "Harding, S. (1991) Whose Science? Whose Knowledge?: Thinking from Women's Lives
"Sociology of knowledge is the study of the relationship between human thought and the social context within which it arises, and of the effects prevailing ideas have on societies.
- Gave rise to the field known as Science and Technology Studies.
- Ethnography of microbiologists working at the Salk Institute. Explains the elevation of observations to the level of fact through a system of credibility. Started the ethnographic laboratory studies movement in the sociology of knowledge.
- "Fleck, Ludwik (1981). Trenn, Thaddeus J.; "Merton, Robert K., eds. Genesis and development of a scientific fact. Translated by Fred Bradley; Thaddeus J. Trenn. Foreword by Thomas S. (Phoenix ed.). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. "ISBN "978-0-226-25325-1.
"Political sociology was traditionally concerned with how social trends, dynamics, and structures of domination affect formal political processes, as well as exploring how various social forces work together to change political policies. Now it is also concerned with the formation of identity through social interaction, the politics of knowledge and other aspects of social relations.
- "Mills, C. Wright (2000) . "The Power Elite. With a new afterword by Alan Wolfe (New ed.). Oxford University Press. "ISBN "978-0-19-513354-7.
- "Domhoff, G. William (1967). Who Rules America?. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- — (2006). Who rules America? : power and politics, and social change (5th ed.). Boston, Mass: McGraw-Hill. "ISBN "978-0-07-287625-3.
- "Skocpol, Theda (1979). "States and Social Revolutions: a comparative analysis of France, Russia, and China. Cambridge University Press. "ISBN "978-0-521-29499-7.
- "Piven, Frances Fox; "Cloward, Richard (1988). Why Americans Don't Vote. Pantheon Books.
- - (2000). Why Americans still don't vote : and why politicians want it that way (Rev. and updated ed.). Boston, Mass.: Beacon Press. "ISBN "978-0-8070-0449-4.
Race and ethnicity
The "sociology of race and ethnic relations is the study of "social, "political, and "economic relations between "races and "ethnicities at all levels of society. It encompasses "racism and "residential segregation.
The "sociology of religion concerns the role of "religion in "society: practices, historical backgrounds, developments and universal themes. There is particular emphasis on the recurring role of religion in all societies and throughout recorded history.
"Sociological theories are complex "theoretical and "methodological frameworks used to analyze and explain objects of social study. They facilitate organizing sociological knowledge.
"Conflict theory emphasizes "social conflict and related issues such as "economic inequality, "social inequality, "oppression and "crime.
Rational choice theory
"Rational choice theory models social behavior as the interaction of utility-maximizing individuals.
Social network analysis
"Social network analysis is structural approach to sociology that views norms and behaviors as embedded in chains of social relations. Makes use of "network theory.
- "Wellman, Barry; Berkowitz, S. D., eds. (1991) . Social structures : a network approach (1st publication, reprint ed.). Greenwich, Conn.: Jai Press. "ISBN "978-0-7623-0290-1.
- "Scott, John (2000) . Social network analysis : a handbook (2nd ed.). London: Sage. "ISBN "978-0-7619-6339-4.
- Wasserman, Stanley; Faust, Katherine (1999) . Social network analysis : methods and applications (Reprint. ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press. "ISBN "978-0-521-38707-1.
- These three books present a good basic introduction to social network analysis. Scott is the most general and most recent. Wasserman and Faust presents thorough methodological coverage. Wellman and Berkowitz is the most readable, theoretical and provides many case studies.
"Sociocybernetics is the application of "systems theory and "cybernetics to sociology.
- "Wiener, Norbert (1961) . Cybernetics or Control and Communication in the Animal and the Machine (2nd revised ed.). MIT Press. "ISBN "978-0-262-73009-9.
- "Bertalanffy, Ludwig von (1971) . General system theory : foundations, development, applications (Rev. ed.). New York: G. Braziller. "ISBN "0-8076-0453-4.
- "Bateson, Gregory (2000) . "Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected Essays in Anthropology, Psychiatry, Evolution, and Epistemology. University Of Chicago Press. "ISBN "0-226-03905-6.
- — (1979). Mind and Nature: A Necessary Unity (Advances in Systems Theory, Complexity, and the Human Sciences). Hampton Press. "ISBN "1-57273-434-5.
- "László, Ervin (1984). The systems view of the world : The natural philosophy of the new developments in the sciences. New York: G. Braziller. "ISBN "0-8076-0636-7.
- "Bateson, Gregory; Bateson, M. C. (1988). Angels Fear: Towards an "Epistemology of the Sacred. University Of Chicago Press. "ISBN "978-0-553-34581-0.
- "Bánáthy, Béla H. (1996). Designing social systems in a changing world. New York: Plenum Press. "ISBN "0-306-45251-0.
"Structural functionalism is a broad perspective that interprets society as a "structure with interrelated parts.
- "Parsons, Talcott (1968) . The structure of social action : a study in social theory with special reference to a group of recent European writers (Pbk. (new) ed.). New York: Free Press. "ISBN "978-0-02-924240-7.
- —; Shils, Edward A. (2001) . Toward a general theory of action : theoretical foundations for the social sciences. With a new introduction by Neil J.Smelser (Abridged ed.). New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers. "ISBN "978-0-7658-0718-2.
- — (1970) . The social system (Reprint ed.). London: Routledge & Kegan Paul. "ISBN "978-0-7100-6902-3.
"Urban sociology is the "sociological study of social life and human interaction in "metropolitan areas.
- Foundational text in American sociology, Chicago school, Urban sociology, and "Human ecology .
- "... became perhaps the most influential single work in the history of town planning, and simultaneously helped to kill off the modern movement in architecture."
- Turned mainstream sociological opinion against the Human Ecology school by foregrounding the influence of institutions and political settings in the growth of cities.
- ^ "Comte, Auguste (2005). John Scott & Gordon Marshall, eds. A Dictionary of Sociology (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press. "ISBN "978-0-19-860986-5.
- ^ Ashley D, Orenstein DM (2005). Sociological theory: Classical statements (6th ed.). Boston, Massachusetts: Pearson Education. pp. 3–5, 32–40. "ISBN "978-0-205-38130-2.
- ^ Giddens, Anthony; Duneier, Mitchell; Applebaum, Richard (2011). "Chapter 1". Introduction to Sociology (Eighth ed.). New York: W.W. Norton and Company. "ISBN "978-0-393-91213-5.
- ^ a b c d Appelrouth & Edles 2007, pp. 103–105
- ^ Gianfranco Poggi (2000). Durkheim. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Chapter 1.
- ^ Swedberg, Richard (2003). Principles of economic sociology. Princeton: Princeton University Press. "ISBN "978-0-691-07439-9.
- ^ Watson, Tony J. (2008). Sociology, work and industry (5th ed.). London: Routledge. p. 392. "ISBN "0-415-43555-2.
- ^ Donald Emery Wray (1953). Industrial sociology: an annotated bibliography. Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations, University of Illinois. "ASIN B003NXV2LW.
- ^ a b Edles & Appelrouth 2010, pp. 341–342
- ^ Fuller, Steve (1993). "Critical notice: David Bloor's Knowledge and Social Imagery". Philosophy of Science (Second ed.). 60 (1): 158–170. "doi:10.1086/289724.
- ^ Nachtigal M. Paul."Political Trends Affecting Nonmetropolitan America." Journal of Research in Rural Education Vol.10(1994):161-166.Print. From:http://www.jrre.psu.edu/articles/v10,n3,p161-166,Nachtigal.pdf
- ^ a b c d Edles & Appelrouth 2010, pp. 84–85
- ^ a b Appelrouth & Edles 2007, pp. 338–339
- ^ Kevin J. Christiano, et al., (2nd ed., 2008), Sociology of Religion: Contemporary Developments, Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. "ISBN "978-0-7425-6111-3
- ^ Craig J. Calhoun (2002). Classical sociological theory. Wiley-Blackwell. pp. 1–. "ISBN "978-0-631-21348-2. Retrieved 2 March 2011.
- ^ a b Appelrouth & Edles 2007, p. 24
- ^ a b c Edles & Appelrouth 2010, pp. 24–25
- ^ Robert Fulford (February 16, 1992). "When Jane Jacobs Took on the World". "New York Times. Retrieved 16 August 2017.
- Allan, Kenneth; Allan, Kenneth D. (2010). Explorations in classical sociological theory : seeing the social world (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Pine Forge Press. "ISBN "978-1-4129-7812-5.
- Appelrouth, Scott; Edles, Laura Desfor (2007). Sociological theory in the contemporary era : text and readings. Thousand Oaks: Pine Forge Press. "ISBN "978-0-7619-2801-0.
- Blau, Peter M. (1972). Hoselitz, Berthold Frank, ed. A reader's guide to the social sciences. Free Press.
- Caro, Francis G., ed. (1977). Readings in evaluation research (2d ed.). New York: Russell Sage Foundation. "ISBN "978-0-87154-201-4.
- Collins, Randall, ed. (1994). Four sociological traditions: selected readings (Revised and expanded ed.). New York: Oxford University Press. "ISBN "978-0-19-508702-4.
- Edles, Laura Desfor; Appelrouth, Scott (2010). Sociological theory in the classical era : text and readings (2nd ed.). Los Angeles: Pine Forge Press. "ISBN "978-1-4129-7564-3.
- Farganis, James, ed. (2011). Readings in social theory : the classic tradition to post-modernism (6th ed.). New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill. "ISBN "978-0-07-811155-6.
- Giddens, Anthony, ed. (2010). Sociology : introductory readings (3rd ed.). Cambridge: Polity Press. "ISBN "978-0-7456-4884-2.
- Herron, Nancy L., ed. (2002). The social sciences (Third ed.). Greenwood Village, CO: Libraries unlimited. "ISBN "978-1-56308-985-5.
- Hiller, Harry H.; Langlois, Simon (2001). "The Most Important Books/Articles in Canadian Sociology in the Twentieth Century: A Report". Canadian Journal of Sociology. 26 (3): 513–516. "doi:10.2307/3341899. "JSTOR 3341899.
- Lauer, Robert H.; Lauer, Jeanette C., eds. (2007). Sociology : windows on society : an anthology (7th ed.). Los Angeles, Calif.: Roxbury Publishing. "ISBN "978-0-19-533052-6.
- Li, Tze-chung (2000). Social science reference sources : a practical guide (3rd ed.). Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press. "ISBN "978-0-313-30483-5.
- Longhofer, Wesley; Golden, Shannon; Baiocchi, Arturo (1 May 2010). "a fresh look at sociology bestsellers". Contexts. 9 (2): 18–25. "doi:10.1525/ctx.2010.9.2.18.
- Macionis, John J.; Benokraitis, Nijole V., eds. (2004). Seeing ourselves : classic, contemporary, and cross-cultural readings in sociology (6th ed.). Upper Saddle River, N.J: Prentice-Hall. "ISBN "978-0-13-111557-6.
- White, Carl M. (1973). Sources of information in the social sciences : a guide to the literature (2nd ed.). Chicago: American Library Association. "ISBN "978-0-8389-0134-2.