See more Buky Schwartz articles on AOD.
Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
=> Buky Schwartz
[pageid] => 19699072
Buky Schwartz (pronounced BOO-kie) ("Hebrew: בוקי שוורץ; June 16, 1932 – September 1, 2009) was an "Israeli sculptor and "video artist.
Moshe (Buky) Schwartz was born in "Jerusalem. From 1956 to 1958, he studied sculpture with "Yitzhak Danziger (1916–1977) at the "Avni Institute of Art and Design in "Tel Aviv. In 1959, he moved to "London to study at "Saint Martin's School of Art. In 1966-1967, he taught at Saint Martin's.
"Reflection Triangle," 1980
After returning to Israel in 1963, he became known for his painted steel sculptures that were predominately geometric in form. In 1971, he moved to "New York City, and began making "video structures" in which he filled a room with shapes that came together as a unified whole when projected on a video screen. He also placed mirrors inside sculptures that reflected the sculpture as a whole or certain parts of it. Schwartz also created conceptual art based on an exploration of his own body.He showed his video installations at The Cultural Space on "Canal Street in Manhattan.
Schwartz lived and worked in "Tel Aviv and "New York City until his death in 2009.
Awards and recognition
- 1961 Sainsbury Awards, Sainsbury's, United Kingdom
- 1962 German Critics' Prize, Association of German Critics, Berlin, Germany
- 1965 was awarded the "Dizengoff Prize for Sculpture.
- 1971 Nuremberg Urban Symposium Purchase Award, Nuremberg Urban Symposium, Nuremberg, Germany
- 1980 Fellowship, Community Arts Partnership, New York, USA
- 1983 Video Art Award, New York State Council on the Arts, New York, USA
- 1983 Residency Program, Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation, USA
- 1987 Guggenheim Award, Guggenheim, New York, USA
- 1988 Sculpture Grant, National Endowment for the Arts, USA
- 1989 Annual International Prize for Video Sculpture, L'immagine Elettronica, Italy
- 1990 Grant for Publication, Guggenheim, New York, USA
- 1991 Painting and sculpture prize, Ministry of Culture and Education
- 1992 Video Sculpture Prize, Pollok Prize
- 1995 architect Arie El Hanani, Tel Aviv, Prize for Integration of Art and architecture
- Yehoshua Rabinowitz Fund for Arts, for his painted steel sculpture at Rothschild Blvd, Tel Aviv
- 1963-64 Altars and Water Channels, "Weizmann Institute of Science, "Rehovot
- 1967 Pillar of heroism, "Yad Vashem, "Jerusalem
- 1969 Gates, "Yad Vashem, "Jerusalem, Israel
- 1969 White from 0 Degrees to 180 Degrees, "Israel Museum, "Jerusalem, Israel
- 1986 Memorial to Jonathan Netanyahu, "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 1986 - Dead Sea Sculpture, "Ein Bokek, "Dead Sea )
- 1988-1992 "חלון לשדירה", שדרות רוטשילד 41, תל אביב-יפו (תמונה
- 1990 Metropolis, 1990, "Tel Aviv University, "Tel Aviv, Israel ()
- 1996 Obelisk, Kibutz Galuiot St., Tel Aviv, Israel
- 1997-98 Capital, outdoor sculpture, "Isracard Building, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 1997-98 Pinball machine, Isracard Building, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 1998 Zig-Zag, Landscape sculpture, steel, Park West, Raanana
- 2001 "Leonardo" Ramat Poleg, "Netanya
- 2002 Between earth and sky, Kiriat Uno, Israel
- 2002 The Giving Tree, Lavon Park, Holon
- 2007 Mosquito, "Tel Aviv Museum of Art, "Tel Aviv, Israel()
- 2011 Aviron, Giv'atayim Theatre Sculpture Garden, Giv'atayim ()
- Painted steel sculpture, "Rothschild Blvd, "Tel Aviv
’Levitation’, 1976 sculpture by Buky Schwartz
- Bex, F., W. van Mulders, and H. van Pelt, Beyond Surface: Peter Berg, Benni Efrat, Tim Head, Buky Schwartz, Antwerp. Internationaal Cultureel Centrum, 1980.
- Hanhardt, John G., Buky Schwartz Videotapes 1978-80, Jerusalem, Israel Museum, 1980.
- Museum of Israeli Art, Buky Schwartz 1990, Ramat-Gan, Israel, Museum of Israeli Art, 1990.
- Tel-Aviv Museum, Helena Rubinstein Pavilion, Buky Schwartz Sculptures, Tel-Aviv, Tel-Aviv Museum, 1969.
- Videoart.net, 'Buky Schwartz Videoconstructions', with commentary by John G.Hanhardt, 2007.