This article needs additional citations for "verification
. (April 2015)
Clichy (French pronunciation: "[kli.ʃi], sometimes unofficially Clichy-la-Garenne) is a "commune in the northwestern suburbs of "Paris, "France. It is located on the Seine River and 6.4 km (4.0 mi) from the "center of Paris.
Located in Clichy are the headquarters of the "L'Oréal Group, the world's largest company in "cosmetics and "beauty; "Bic, one of the biggest pen producers in the world; and "Sony France, a large "electronics and "media company.
The name Clichy was recorded for the first time in the 6th century as Clippiacum, later corrupted into Clichiacum, meaning "estate of Cleppius", a "Gallo-Roman landowner.
In the 13th century, the plain of Clichy was used as a garenne ("warren" in English), i.e. a hunting park and game preserve for the exclusive use of the king or a lord. Clichy became known as Clichy-la-Garenne ("Clichy the Warren" or preserve).
Between 1793 and 1795, during the "French Revolution, Clichy-la-Garenne was renamed Clichy-la-Patriote (meaning "Clichy the Patriot"), perhaps because the word garenne reminded people of the feudal privileges that the new government abolished in 1789.
After the Revolution, the French administration officially recorded the name of the commune only as Clichy, dropping the "la-Garenne". This is the term in use in the 21st century. But, in many instances the municipality of Clichy refers to the commune traditionally as Clichy-la-Garenne, although this has not been the official name for more than 200 years.
The wharf and bridge of Clichy.
Clichy was the capital of the "Merovingians during the rule of "Dagobert I.
Its church was built in the 17th century under the direction of St Vincent de Paul, who had previously been curé of Clichy.
In 1830, part of the territory of Clichy was detached and became the commune of Batignolles-Monceau. On 1 January 1860, the city of Paris annexed neighboring communes, taking most of Batignolles-Monceau, which now forms the major part of the "17th arrondissement of Paris. A small part of the territory of Batignolles-Monceau was returned to Clichy.
On 11 January 1867, part of the territory of Clichy was detached and merged with a part of the territory of "Neuilly-sur-Seine to create the commune of "Levallois-Perret.
Place of birth of residents of Clichy in 1999
|Born in "Metropolitan France
||Born outside Metropolitan France
|Born in foreign countries with French citizenship at birth1
|1This group is made up largely of former French settlers, such as "pieds-noirs in "Northwest Africa, followed by former colonial citizens who had French citizenship at birth (such as was often the case for the native elite in French colonies), and to a lesser extent foreign-born children of French expatriates. Note that a foreign country is understood as a country not part of France in 1999, so a person born for example in 1950 in Algeria, when Algeria was an integral part of France, is nonetheless listed as a person born in a foreign country in French statistics.
2An immigrant is a person born in a foreign country not having French citizenship at birth. Note that an immigrant may have acquired French citizenship since moving to France, but is still considered an immigrant in French statistics. On the other hand, persons born in France with foreign citizenship (the children of immigrants) are not listed as immigrants.
The canton covers a part of the commune; the other is in the northern part of "Levallois-Perret.
Twin towns — Sister cities
Clichy is "twinned with:
- " "Heidenheim, "Germany, since 1959
- " "Sankt Pölten, "Austria, since 1968
- " "Merthyr Tydfil, "Wales, since 1980 
- " "Santo Tirso, "Portugal, since 1991
- " "Rubí, "Spain, since 2005
- " "Southwark, "England, since 2005
- " "Beit Sahour, "Palestine, since 2009 
Clichy has also cooperation agreements with:
"L'Oréal Group has its head office in the Centre "Eugène Schueller in Clichy.
In addition, "Monoprix has its head office in Clichy. "Société Bic has its head office in Clichy.
At one time "Fnac had its head office in Clichy. In 2008 the head office moved to "Ivry-sur-Seine.
Clichy is served by "Mairie de Clichy station on "Paris Métro Line 13
It is also served by "Clichy – Levallois station on the "Transilien Paris – Saint-Lazare suburban rail line.
The commune has 22 primary schools, three junior high schools, and two senior high schools. The junior highs include:
- Collège Jean Jaurès
- Collège Jean Macé
- Collège Vincent Van Gogh
The senior high schools:
- "Olivier Messiaen, French composer, died here.
- "Henry Miller, American author, lived with "Alfred Perlès at 4 avenue Anatole France from 1932 to 1934.
- "Jean-Luc Rougé, 1975 world "Judo champion
- "Audrey Bruneau, handball player
- "Rochel Chery, basketball player
- "Claude Dielna footballer
- "Vincent Doukantie footballer
- "Gwladys Epangue taekwondo
- "Jeremy Helan footballer
- "Julian Jeanvier, footballer
- "Moustapha Keita, footballer
- "Souleymane M'Baye boxer
- "Windsor Noncent footballer
- "Steed Tchicamboud basketball player
- "Jacques Mesrine, French criminal, known as the French "Robin Hood
- "Thomas Piketty Economist
- ^ a b Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Clichy". "Encyclopædia Britannica. 5 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 507.
- ^ "http://www.welshicons.org.uk/html/merthyr_tydfil1.php." Retrieved on 12 January 2012.
- ^ "http://www.francemag.com/france-travel-travel-guide-and-information-twin-towns--211." Retrieved on 12 January 2012.
- ^ "Twinning". Welcome in ..:: Beit Sahour ::.. Municipality. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- ^ "World Presence." "L'Oréal. Retrieved on 14 July 2010.
- ^ "Informations légales Archived 2010-02-09 at the "Wayback Machine.." "Monoprix. Retrieved on 4 February 2010.
- ^ "Legal Notice." Bic. Retrieved on 7 February 2011. "Head office : 14, rue Jeanne d’Asnières 92611 Clichy cedex, France."
- ^ L.C. "Le siège de la Fnac pressenti Archived 2015-01-13 at "WebCite." "Le Parisien. 2 November 2006. Retrieved on 10 March 2010. "Et c'est le siège social de la Fnac qui aurait décroché la timbale. Actuellement installé à Clichy-la-Garenne (Hauts-de-Seine), le siège de l'agitateur culturel chercherait à déménager.
- ^ "150 salariés de la Fnac arrivent encore à Ivry Archived 2015-01-13 at "WebCite." "Le Parisien. 17 June 2008. Retrieved on 10 March 2010. "HIER, c'était le dernier jour d'aménagement au nouveau siège social de la Fnac, au bord de la Seine à Ivry-Port." and "Ils rejoignent ainsi les 850 autres employés qui sont déjà installés depuis le début du mois à Ivry."
- ^ "Education > Les établissements." Clichy, Hauts-de-Seine. Retrieved on September 4, 2016.
- ^ Kreg Wallace, Clichy (ave. Anatole France) Archived 2014-05-08 at the "Wayback Machine., Walking Paris with Henry Miller. Retrieved on 7 May 2014.
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clichy.