|Type||"Broadcast "radio and
|"Slogan||Education makes the world happy
행복한 교육세상 만들어요 ("Korean)
|Owner||"Government of South Korea ("Ministry of Education, "Korea Communications Commission)|
|Yongsup SHIN, President|
|1981 (as KBS3 Television and KBS3 Radio); 1990 (as EBS TV/Radio); 1997 (Satellite); 2001 (Digital); 2005 (DMB)|
|"Revised Romanization||Hanguk Gyoyuk Bangsong Gongsa|
|"McCune–Reischauer||Han'guk Kyoyuk Pangsong Kongsa|
|Launched||February 2, 1981 (as KBS 3TV)
December 27, 1990 (as EBS TV)
|Slogan||Education makes the world happy|
|Formerly called||KBS 3TV (1981-1990)|
|"Digital||CH 18 ("UHF : 495.31MHz) "LCN 10-1 (Seoul)|
|"SkyLife||Channel 3 (HD)|
|Available on most
South Korean cable systems
|Check local listings for details|
|"B TV||Channel 1 (HD)|
|U+ TV||Channel 14 (HD)|
|"Olleh TV||Channel 13 (HD)|
|Part of "a series on the|
Korea Educational Broadcasting System ("Korean: 한국교육방송공사) or EBS is a children's educational television and radio network covering South Korean territory, and the only major South Korean radio and television network without a separate regional service. Established as KBS 3TV, "Seoul Animation Center and KBS Educational Radio in the 1980s, and became an independent corporation in 1990. EBS strives to supplement school education and promote lifelong education for everyone in Korea.
Also EBS offers one cable/satellite channel, EBS America, in North America. It airs programs about Korean culture, language education, and children's shows.
Originally an affiliate of the Korean Educational Development Institute, KBS 3TV / KBS Educational FM (Social Educational Broadcast) was broadcast on the name, December 27, 1990 KBS independence from. In 2000, the Korea Education and Broadcasting Corporation was established and became a public broadcasting station with a reputation. According to the magazine published by the EBS, however, its history is recorded until 1951.
The 'Radio School' was temporarily suspended in 1962 and resumed the following year. It continued until 1969 with name 'TV School Broadcasting'. However, if the KEDI was established in 1972 and the foundation law of the Korean Education Development Institute, which was proclaimed the following year, is regarded as the basis of the current EBS, it can be regarded as 1974. In fact, it commemorated the 40th anniversary of educational broadcasting in 2014. The main subject of broadcasting was KBS radio, but the subject of production was former Ministry of Education and Central Audiovisual Education Center.
However, since the 1980s, the 'secondary education-oriented teaching channel' was established. On June 16, 1980, they started high school TV broadcasting. The broadcasting time was from 11:10 to 12:40 on weekdays, and the rebroadcast was organized from 5:30 am to 7:00 am on weekdays, It was moved to 10:30 because of the public opinion that the time is too late. After that, home high school broadcasting was organized in the late night time and weekday morning hours, and KBS-3TV was officially launched on February 2, 1981.
For reference, this "regime TV channel launching by regime" is repeated once again in the 1990s. As a measure to reduce the private education expenses since August 1997, "extra-curricular broadcasting" using Mugunghwa 3 broadcasting satellite Conducted. Satellite 1 channel was for SAT and satellite 2 was for middle school curriculum, especially Satellite 1 instructor was great. Lee Keun-cheol (Former KBS 2FM Good Morning Pops host) in English, Lee Won-hee, Lee Man-ki in Korean language, and Park Seung-dong in mathematics. For reference, Susan McDonald, who is the signboard of EBS English conversation and the main character of the Seoul Metro (2000 ~ 2005) and the Seoul Metropolitan Rapid Transit Corporation (1999 ~ 2012) English announcement, showed fluent Korean ability.
On March 12, 1997, it was separated from the Korean Educational Development Institute under the Korean Educational Broadcasting System. On June 22, 2000, it was reorganized into Korea Educational Broadcasting Corporation. In December of the same year, we began to broadcast Internet education. In August 2004, the EBS FM broadcast facility was replaced with a digital tapeless system in a conventional analogue open reel tape system.
Since it belonged to the terrestrial channel of KBS in the past, it was officially called KBS 3rd TV. Unlike conventional 1TV and 2TV, it started as it is without commercial advertisement. Until this time, it was KBS broadcasting, but unlike 1 / 2TV, it was broadcast for education and learning purposes.
On December 27, 1990, at 9 am, it became independent from KBS, becoming a separate broadcasting company from KBS and re-opened as EBS TV and EBS FM.
In 2000, KBS, MBC, and SBS were introduced to Korea's 4 major terrestrial broadcasters as an independent corporation, Korea Education and Broadcasting Corporation. Since then, it has begun providing services for the SAT in 2004, and real-time transmission through IPTV has been realized in 2008.
• Acting as the President of Kim Hak-cheon (1990 ~ 1991)
• Lee, Jun Hae (1991 ~ 1992)
• Jung Yeon Chun (1992 ~ 1995)
• Park Heung Soo (1995 ~ 2000)
• Park, Heong Soo (2000 ~ 2001)
• Kim Hak Cheon (2001 ~ 2003)
• Ko Seok Man (2003 ~ 2005)
• Kwon Young Man (2005 ~ 2006)
• Gu Gwan Seo (2006 ~ 2009)
• Kwak Duk Hoon (2009 ~ 2012)
• Sin Yong Seop (2012 ~ 2015)
• Woo Jong Beom (2015 ~ 2017)
• Jang Hae Lang (2017 ~ present)
It shows fairly high-quality programs in the name of educational broadcasting. In addition, he has been providing a lot of information in various fields such as international documentary, classical painting, independent film, and famous foreign animation. Self-produced programs are also popular. Programs such as 'The Great Dream of the Beautiful World', a youth drama produced every year, and 'Space Empathy', which are now famous are the original programs of the challenging Golden Bell.
These changes have been reinforced since the launch of the Korea Education and Broadcasting Corporation in 2000, and the role model seems to be following the US PBS. In the case of the United States, PBS is operating as a countermeasure against commercialization while private broadcasting is in competition, and even news! If this is the most famous program we know, Bob Ross 's' Let 's Make a Picture' was produced by this station. As seen from the past that started with KBS-3, if it had been operated like NHK educational channel in the past, EBS seems to be the management policy that it will become a social educational channel with utmost publicity like PBS in future.
• 1990s - EBS, educational broadcasting
• 1990 ~ 2003 - EBS education broadcasting, on the learning of Onnuri
• 2004 ~ 2007 - Excellent broadcasting EBS education broadcasting
• 2007 ~ 2014 - Knowledge Channel EBS education broadcasting for the future
• 2014 ~ Present - Make a happy education world EBS EBS Education Broadcast
Though considered a public broadcasting entity, EBS gets most of its yearly budget from advertisements and sales revenue. In 2012, 72.1% of its revenue came from textbook sales, publications and ad revenues on its TV Radio and internet platforms, while the rest came from TV license fees (EBS gets 3% of the total License Fee being collected by the Korean Broadcasting System) and government grants.
Launch date: April 1st, 2004
EBSi is a sub-channel and Internet lecture website for CSAT(College Scholastic Ability Test, Korean SAT). Since it’s a public enterprise, every lecture including unpopular subject, such as second foreign language (Russian, Spanish, Arabic, etc.), is provided for free. Most of curriculums depend on the published books by EBS, but recently some instructors have their own curriculums.
Most of the instructors are current school teachers, and they are also recruiting some teachers from private lecture websites. Both public and private teachers provide high-quality lectures because:
For public school teachers, EBSi is the only way to become known, since it’s illegal for a public officer to work at private enterprise.
For private teachers, they can get famous with giving free lectures.
In 2009, many private teachers are recruited. They gave lectures with their own textbooks, and it was called BOB(Best Of Best). It gained fame, so these lectures were included in EBSi curriculum “CSAT concepts”.
Below is a list of current instructors in each subject.
Reina (Real name: Hyo-eun Kim)
Dong-ho Jang (physics)
Young Cha (physics)
Huina Lee (chemistry)
Sung-eun Kim (chemistry)
Jinseok Yang (chemistry)
Juwon Park (chemistry)
Hanjong Yeo (biology)
Kiwoong Park (biology)
Sohyun Park (biology)
Choonsoo Byun (biology)
Sunmook Choi (earth science)
Poong Jang (real name: Sung-kyu Jang, general science)
EBSi has the larger amount of members than any other Internet lecture websites. According to the statistics, there are few people who finishes the whole lecture. (The ratio of completion of lectures is 13.8%, and each lecture consists of dozens of video clips.) This low ratio is caused by free lectures. First, you have to sign up for courses even you would listen to only one video clip. Second, students with high grade prefer paid lectures. Third, the most important, there is an ‘index system’.
EBSi introduced ‘index system’ in 2016. There are ‘problem codes’ in each practice problem of EBS textbook. When you enter the code in website, it could find exact point of problem-solving lectures. This system was only in CSAT problems, but recently EBSi applied for every single problem.
Most of the lectures are filmed in the studio, and there were some criticisms that the lectures are not vivid or hard to concentrate on. So EBSi conducted on-site lectures, for “CSAT special lectures.” Also, in summer vacation season, there are “visiting on-site lectures” for 12th graders. Literally, instructors visit the school to give lectures. But after “military slander incident”, EBSi abolished on-site lectures. However, it is recommenced since 2015.
Most EBSi’s service supports HTML5. EBSi is the only internet lecture web site that has web-standardized its page.
It has switched from <Active X + Silverlight> to <PC Player (platform-specific) + HTML5> enabling the lectures to have the same image quality on any platform.
However, in the case of HTML5, some functions are not yet supported. (Full-screen caption function, etc.)
The question bank service is currently in beta service using HTML5.
Most of the services will be converted to HTML5 soon, including formula editing.
Because of these efforts, EBSi is accessible on the Internet Explorer browser, Google Chrome, and even Edge browser.
EBS also publishes various books for students and examinees to study. These books are not textbooks used in schools, but are workbooks and additional textbooks of the current curriculum. Most of the books are linked to internet lectures available for free. These books are a way of studying the current curriculum or advanced levels with little money, and is encouraged by the government.
There are two types of textbooks related to the College Scholastic Ability Test.
The EBS special lecture is a CSAT-related textbook which is provided for examinees of the CSAT. Internet lectures accessible on various operating systems (Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS) are provided, also with TV lectures. The textbooks needed for the lectures are available at book stores. These courses have been producing by EBS for over 10 years. The Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development agreed on relating 70% of the CSAT in EBS from 2010 (2011 school year). The list of textbooks for the college entrance examination for 2018 is as follows.
• List of books
• Korean language area: literature, reading, speech, writing, grammar
• Mathematics: Mathematics II & Calculus I, Calculus II, Probability and Statistics, Geometry and Vector
• English language: English, English reading practice, English listening
• Korean history: Korean history Social Inquiry Area: Life and Ethics, Ethics and Thought, Korean Geography, World Geography, East Asia History, World History, Law and Politics, Economy, Society and Culture
• Science Inquiries: Physics I, Chemistry I, Life Sciences I, Earth Science I, Physics II, Chemistry II, Life Sciences II, Earth Science II
• Job search area: human development, understanding of the life service industry, general industry, basic system, agricultural understanding, basic agricultural technology, commercial economy, accounting principle, ocean understanding, fisheries and shipping industry basis
• Secondary language : Chinese text area: Japanese I, Chinese I, Chinese Characters I, German I, Russian I, Vietnamese I, Spanish I, Arabic I, French I
The italicized books are only available on the Internet.
<Completion of the SAT> is the final textbook of EBS's CSAT-related books. It was originally issued under the name of "10 weeks completed", but since it is somewhat small, it was reorganized as the completion of the college entrance examination in conjunction with the "Final Practice Mock-up" from 2012 (2011). These books are provided with TV lectures, "online lectures, which could be downloaded and played on various operating systems. Korean history, which is a required subject on the CSAT, is not limited to one book due to the fact that the CSAT tests on this subject is easy. The list of completed books for the 2018 academic year (2017) is as follows.
List of books
• Korean language area: Korean
• Mathematics: Mathematics, Mathematics
• English: English
• Social Inquiry Area: Life and Ethics, Ethics and Thought, Korean Geography, World Geography, East Asia History, World History, Law and Politics, Economy, Society and Culture
• Science Inquiries: Physics I, Chemistry I, Life Sciences I, Earth Science I, Physics II, Chemistry II, Life Sciences II, Earth Science II
• Second language / Chinese text area: Japanese I, Chinese I, Chinese I, German I, Russian I, Vietnamese I, Spanish I, Arabic I, French I
• Job search area: human development, understanding of the life service industry, general industry, basic system, agricultural understanding, basic agricultural technology, commercial economy, accounting principle, ocean understanding, fisheries shipping industry basis
CSAT related books are the books that are made by EBS in order to repress academies. At 2011, the MInistry of Education, Science and Technology announced that 2011 CSAT and EBS's CSAT linked percent must be over 70%. It was for the equity of students who can't go to academies of not. Also, the contents of the book changes every year.
As CSAT changed, books were changed, too. Also, to lessen the burden of students, it reduced the number of books.
|area||number of books||title||elective course|
|Korean||4||CSAT special lecture (literature,reading/writing/grammar/epigraphy)
CSAT complete ||
|Math(ga type)||4||CSAT special lecture(math 2, calculus and statics, geometry & vector), CSAT special lecture ga type|
|Math(na type)||3||CSAT special lecture(math 2, calculus 1, probability and statics), CSAT special lecture na type|
|English||4||CSAT special lecture(English, English listing, English reading practice), CSAT complete|
|Korean history||1||CSAT special lecture|
|social study||18||CSAT special lecture, CSAT complete(two for each course)||livingðics ethics&idea, world geography, Korean geography, Eastern Asian history, World history, Law and politics, Economics, Social studies & culture|
|science||16||CSAT special lecture, CSAT complete (two for each course)||Physics 1 Physics 2 Chemistry 1 Chemistry 2 Earth science 1 Earth science 2 Biology 1 Biology 2|
|vocation inquiry||20||CSAT special lecture, CSAT complete(two for each course)||Agricultural industry(Agricultural understanding, basic agricultural technology), industry (introduction to industry, basic system), commercial information (commercial economy, accounting principle), fisheries and marine transportation (ocean general, fisheries and maritime information processing) , Housework&industry(Human development, Computer general)|
|2nd foreign language/Chinese||18||CSAT special lecture, CSAT complete(two for each course)||German 1 French 1 Spanish 1 Chinese 1 Japanese 1 Russian 1 Arabic 1 Basic Vietnamese Chinese language|
The books that are written slanted are not printed to book, but provide with only online.
• EBS High School preparatory courses(EBS 고등 예비과정) : This is a book for preparation of the high school curriculum. Chang Dong-jun's high school preparatory course is popular among students who prepare for high school(middle school 3rd graders). Only Korean, English, and Math are in this book.
• EBS Olympos, New탐스런, 탐스런 : The Basic Concepts Textbook for high school 1st graders and 2nd graders. Olympos has only English, Korean, and math. New탐스런, and 탐스런 are books for 탐구 territory.
• Olympos, New탐스런 workbooks(평가문제집): Related to Olympos and New탐스런. This is a book which has problems for preparing for school tests. Olympos covers math, New탐스런 covers combined(통합) Science, research science(과탐) Ⅰ, and integrated society(통합사회). Unpopular subjects such as world history textbooks have not been published since 2012, so the lectures of those subjects have hardship in teaching.
• 수능 concepts (수능개념) : Training courses taught by books made by the EBSi lecturers. Even though it’s non relative to the CSAT(Korean SAT), lots of lecturers think this book as important. In subjects such as social studies(사회탐구), it’s even more preferred other CSAT-relative books.
• Online CSAT 3(4)point tactics (인터넷수능 3(4)점 공략) : EBS advertises as the book you should see if you are in the top level. However, the ratings of this book isn’t very good. Some say the quality of the problems is low, so it’s better to look at the sample questions from previous tests. Only Math, Korean, and English are in this book.
• EBS N (EBS N제) : Korean 270 problems, Math 210, English 200, 탐구 300 problems are in this book. 탐구 has 3 pre-tests inside.
• promise of heaven(천제의 약속): over a 1000 problems are in this book. Only Korean and English problems.
• Opening the CSAT(수능열기): Book for pre-3rd grade highschool. The start of EBS CSAT curriculum, focused on the main concepts. Only Korean, English, math.
• CSAT road guide(수능 길잡이): workbook for 1st ,2nd grade highschool students. Book for refining the basics of CSAT subjects. Only Korean, English ,Math
• EBS total series(EBS 알짜 시리즈): Korean subject reference book, for all high schoolers. Contains grammar, Classical literature, Vocabulary for CSAT, modern poetry, and modern novels.
All foreign shows are dubbed in Korean.
|"TVRI / "RTV / "Global TV / "NET.||"Indonesia|
|"TV2 / "NTV7 / "8TV||"Malaysia|
|"ABS-CBN / "GMA Network / "Solar Entertainment||"Philippines|
|"RTHK / "Phoenix TV||"Hong Kong|
|"WDR / "ZDF / "RTLTV / "ProSieben||"Germany|
|"NHK / "TV Asahi / "TV Tokyo||"Japan|
|"ABC / "CBS / "FOX / "NBC / "PBS||"United States|
|"TVOntario / "Tele-Quebec / "CBC / "CTV||"Canada|
|"UKTV / "Channel 5 (UK) / "BBC||"United Kingdom|
|"Telemadrid / "TV3 / "Cuatro / "Telecinco||"Spain|
|"TRT Cocuk / Yumurcak TV / Renk Yapım||"Turkey|
|Radio y Television Guatemala / "Guatevision||"Guatemala|