Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
This article is about the American journalist and author. For other people with the same name, see "Evan Thomas (disambiguation).
Evan Welling Thomas III (born April 25, 1951) is an "American "journalist, "historian, and "author. He is the author of nine books, including two New York Times bestsellers.
Life and career
Thomas was born in "Huntington, New York, and raised in nearby affluent "Cold Spring Harbor. A graduate of "Phillips Academy, "Harvard University, and the "University of Virginia School of Law, from 1991 he was a reporter, writer, and editor at "Newsweek for 24 years. Prior to that, he was at "Time Magazine. Thomas began his reporting career at "The Bergen Record in northeastern New Jersey. He has won numerous journalism awards, including a "National Magazine Award in 1998.
Thomas was, for 20 years, a regular panelist on the weekly public affairs TV show "Inside Washington until the show ceased production in December 2013.
He taught writing and journalism at Harvard and Princeton between 2003 and 2014. For seven years, from 2007 to 2014, he was the Ferris Professor of Journalism in residence at Princeton.
He is the son of Anna Davis (née Robins) and Evan Welling Thomas II, an editor who worked for "HarperCollins and "W. W. Norton & Company. His grandfather, "Norman Thomas, was a six-time Presidential candidate for the "Socialist Party of America.
He is married, and he and his wife, an attorney, are the parents of two daughters. They live in "Washington, D.C.
- "The Wise Men: Six Friends and the World They Made. "Walter Isaacson, Evan Thomas, Simon & Schuster, 1986; Simon & Schuster, 1997. "ISBN 978-0-684-83771-0
- The Man to See: The Life of Edward Bennett Williams. Simon & Schuster, 1992. "ISBN 978-0-671-79211-4
- The Very Best Men: The Early Years of the CIA. Simon & Schuster, 1996. "ISBN 978-0-684-82538-0
- Back from the Dead: How Clinton Survived the Republican Revolution. "Atlantic Monthly Press, 1997. "ISBN 978-0-87113-689-3
- Robert Kennedy: His Life. Simon & Schuster, 2000. "ISBN 978-0-684-83480-1
- John Paul Jones: Sailor, Hero, Father of the American Navy. Simon & Schuster, 2004. "ISBN 978-0-7432-5804-3
- Sea of Thunder: Four Naval Commanders and the Last Sea War. Simon & Schuster, 2007. "ISBN 9780743252225
- A Long Time Coming: The Inspiring, Combative 2008 Campaign and the Historic Election of Barack Obama. "PublicAffairs, 2009. "ISBN 9781586486075
- The War Lovers: Roosevelt, Lodge, Hearst, and the Rush to Empire, 1898, Little, Brown and Company, 2010, "ISBN 978-0-316-00409-1
- Ike's Bluff: President Eisenhower's Secret Battle to Save the World. "Little, Brown and Company, 2012.
- Being Nixon: A Man Divided. New York: Random House, 2015. "ISBN 978-0-8129-9536-7
- ^ a b Molotsky, Irvin (1986-09-09). "WASHINGTON TALK - BRIEFING - Newsweek Bureau Chief". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- ^ Kashner, Sam. "Sam Kashner on The Death of a President". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- ^ "Inside Washington". Insidewashington.tv. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- ^ Farhi, Paul, "After more than 40 years, ‘Inside Washington’ will go off the air," washingtonpost.com, September 8, 2013.
- ^ ALEX KUCZYNSKIPublished: March 05, 1999 (1999-03-05). "Evan Thomas 2d Dies at 78; Published Many Best Sellers - New York Times". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- ^ "Princeton Alumni Weekly, Jan. 23rd 2008". Paw.princeton.edu. 2013-09-06. Retrieved 2013-12-08.