See more Green Corps articles on AOD.
Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
=> Green Corps
[pageid] => 47746273
Green Corps Inc.
||Leslie Samuelrich, Gina Cummings
||501(c)(3) nonprofit educational organization
||The Field School for Environmental Organizing
Green Corps is an "environmental organization in the "United States that trains recent college graduates in a one-year post-graduate program in "grassroots "community organizing. During the program, Green Corps organizers learn in the classroom and are deployed in the field to work on campaigns.
Green Corps was founded in 1992 by Leslie Samuelrich and Gina Cummings with the financial backing of U.S. "Public Interest Research Group in response to the momentum created by "Earth Day 1990. Green Corps was created to channel young talent into environmental advocacy causes.
Green Corps is hired by non-profits such as the "Sierra Club to manage their campaigns in the field. Campaigns Green Corps has worked on include:
- Launching fossil fuel divestment campaigns on campuses.
- Launching a national campaign to label GMO foods.
- Leading the fights to shut coal plants on college campuses.
Executive Directors of Green Corps have included:
- 1992 - 2008 Leslie Samuelrich
- 2008 - 2012 Cindy Kang
- 2012 - July 2017 Joshua Buswell-Charkow
- July 2017 - present Annie Sanders
Board of Directors
The current Green Corps Board of Directors includes:
- Douglas H. Phelps, President and Executive Director, The Public Interest Network
- Bob Bingaman, National Organizing Director, Sierra Club (Resigned from the Board in July 2016)
- Cindy Kang, Executive Coaching Fellow, The Management Center
- Andy MacDonald, National Campus Organizing Director, Student PIRGs
- Leslie Samuelrich, President, Green Century Capital Management
- Wendy Wendlandt, Political Director, The Public Interest Network
- Matt Wilson, Executive Director, MASSCreative
- Naomi Roth, Massachusetts Organizing Director, Families for Excellent Schools
- Pete Maysmith, Executive Director, Conservation Colorado
- "Phil Radford, Former Executive Director, Greenpeace
- Kirsten Collings, Deputy Director, Chesapeake Climate Action Network