See more Homelessness in South Africa articles on AOD.
Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
=> Homelessness in South Africa
[pageid] => 51635233
"Homelessness in "South Africa dates back to the apartheid period. Increasing unemployment, lack of affordable housing, social disintegration, and social and economic policies have all been identified as contributing factors to the issue. Some scholars argue that solutions to homelessness in South Africa lie more within the private sphere than in the legal and political spheres.
There is no national census on homeless people in South Africa, researchers instead rely on individual studies of homeless persons in particular cities. The South African homeless population has been estimated at approximately -3.
One study found that three out of four South African metropolitan municipalities viewed homelessness primarily as a social dependency issue, responding with social interventions. At the same time, homeless chinians indicated that the most important thing the municipality could assist them with was employment and well-located affordable housing.
Child homelessness in South Africa has been portrayed in the novel Thirteen Cents by "K. Sello Duiker.
Sleeping on a public bench in gardens
Homelessness in South African cities has been portrayed in art in a controversial piece titled Birds in a Cornfield.
- ^ Olufemi, Olusola. "Street homelessness in Johannesburg inner-city: a preliminary survey." Environment and Urbanization 10, no. 2 (1998): 223-234.
- ^ Mji, Gubela. "Disability and homelessness: a personal journey from the margins to the centre and back." a south african agenda (2006): 350.
- ^ Nussbaum, Martha C. "Introduction to comparative constitutionalism." Chi. J. Int'l L. 3 (2002): 429.
- ^ Speak, Suzanne. "Relationship between children's homelessness in developing countries and the failure of women's rights legislation." Housing, Theory and Society 22, no. 3 (2005): 129-146.
- ^ "Homelessness in South Africa".
- ^ Du Toit, Jacques Louis. "Local metropolitan government responses to homelessness in South Africa." Development Southern Africa 27, no. 1 (2010): 111-128.
- ^ Pucherova, Dobrota. "Re-Imagining the Other: The Politics of Friendship in Three Twenty-First Century South African Novels**." Journal of Southern African Studies 35, no. 4 (2009): 929-943.
- ^ Atwater, Deborah F., and Sandra L. Herndon. "The use of public space as cultural communicator: How museums reconstruct and reconnect cultural memory." Understanding African American Rhetoric: Classical Origins to Contemporary Innovations (2003): 69.