Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
WikipediaAudio is not affiliated with Wikipedia or the WikiMedia Foundation.
Katie Hafner (born 1957) is an American "journalist who writes books and articles about technology, healthcare, and society, most often for "The New York Times, where she was on staff for a decade. Prior to that, she was a contributing editor for "Newsweek and "Business Week. She has also written for "Esquire, "Wired, "The New Republic and "The New York Times Magazine.
Her sixth book, Mother Daughter Me , a memoir about three generations of women trying to live together, was published by "Random House in 2013. Mother Daughter Me received great advance praise and was named one of "Ten Titles to Pick Up Now" in the August 2013 issue of "O Magazine, to "Parade magazine's 2013 "Summer Reading List", July's "Goodreads "Mover and Shaker" list and "iTunes' "Best Books of July!"
She is currently working on a novel.
She is interviewed in the "John Korty documentary, "Miracle in a Box", about the rebuilding of a Steinway piano.
Hafner's 2006 New York Times article Growing Wikipedia Refines its 'Anyone Can Edit' Policy is currently featured in The McGraw-Hill Guide Writing for College, Writing for Life, second edition an English composition textbook. It is used by hundreds of undergrads as source material for topical essays.
Hafner lives in the "San Francisco "Bay Area.
- Cyberpunk: Outlaws and Hackers on the Computer Frontier (with "John Markoff) (Simon & Schuster, 1991) "ISBN "0-684-81862-0
- The House at the Bridge: A Story of Modern Germany (Scribner, 1995) "ISBN "0-684-19400-7
- Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet (with Matthew Lyon) (Simon & Schuster, 1996) "ISBN "0-684-83267-4
- The "WELL: A Story of Love, Death and Real Life in the Seminal Online Community:(2001) Carroll & Graf Publishers "ISBN "0-7867-0846-8
- A Romance on Three Legs: Glenn Gould's Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Piano  : (June 2008 BloomsburyUSA) "ISBN "0-7710-3754-6
- Mother Daughter Me  : (July 2013 Random House) "ISBN "140006936X
- Recent and archival news by Katie Hafner of The New York Times.
- "Mother Daughter Me: A Feel-Good Experiment that Wasn't," by Steven Kurutz, "The New York Times", July 3, 2013.
- "Bracing for the Falls of an Aging Nation," by Katie Hafner, "The New York Times", October 30, 2014.
- "Lifting Corporate Fingerprints From the Editing of Wikipedia," by Katie Hafner, The New York Times, August 19, 2007
- "Wired, December 1994 - The Creators
- Wired, May 1997 - The Epic Saga of The Well
- Wired, June 2001 - Book review of The Well