See more Kieran Egan (educationist) articles on AOD.
Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
=> Kieran Egan (educationist)
[pageid] => 2683596
Egan in 2004
||Author, Professor of Education, Canada Research Chair in Education
Kieran Egan (born 1942) is a contemporary "educational philosopher and a student of the "classics, "anthropology, "cognitive psychology, and "cultural history. He has written on issues in "education and "child development, with an emphasis on the uses of "imagination and the intellectual stages (Egan calls them "understandings) that occur during a person’s intellectual development. He has questioned the work of "Jean Piaget and "progressive educators, notably "Herbert Spencer and "John Dewey.
He currently works at "Simon Fraser University. His major work is "The Educated Mind.
Egan was born in 1942 in "Clonmel "Ireland, though he was raised and educated in "England. He graduated from the "University of London with a "Bachelor of Arts degree in 1966. He subsequently worked as a "research fellow at the Institute for Comparative Studies in "Kingston upon Thames. He then moved to the "United States and began a "Ph.D in the "philosophy of education at the "Stanford Graduate School of Education. Egan completed his Ph.D at "Cornell University in 1972.
Kieran Egan is the director of the Imaginative Education Research Group, which was founded by the Faculty of Education at Simon Fraser University. The goal of this group is to improve education on a global scale by developing and proliferating the ideas of Imaginative Education
- 1976 Structural Communication. Fearon Publishers, Belmont, Calif. "ISBN "0-8224-6550-7
- 1979 Educational Development. Oxford University Press, New York. "ISBN "0-19-502458-3
- 1983 Education and Psychology: Plato, Piaget, and Scientific Psychology. Teachers College Press, Columbia University, New York ; London. "ISBN "0-8077-2717-2
- 1988 Primary Understanding: Education in Early Childhood. Routledge, New York. "ISBN "0-415-90003-4
- 1988 Imagination and Education. Teachers College Press, New York. "ISBN "0-8077-2878-0
- 1989 Teaching as Story Telling: An Alternative Approach to Teaching and Curriculum in the Elementary School. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. "ISBN "0-226-19031-5
- 1990 Romantic Understanding: The Development of Rationality and Imagination, Ages 8-15. Routledge, New York. "ISBN "0-415-90050-6
- 1992 Imagination in Teaching and Learning: The Middle School Years. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. "ISBN "0-226-19033-1
- 1997 "The Educated Mind: How Cognitive Tools Shape Our Understanding. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. "ISBN "0-226-19036-6
- 1999 Children's Minds, Talking Rabbits & Clockwork Oranges: Essays on Education. Teachers College Press, New York. "ISBN "0-8077-3808-5
- 2002 "Getting it Wrong from the Beginning: Our Progressivist Inheritance from Herbert Spencer, John Dewey, and Jean Piaget. Yale University Press, New Haven. "ISBN "0-300-09433-7
- 2005 "An Imaginative Approach to Teaching. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA. "ISBN "0-7879-7157-X
- 2006 Teaching Literacy: Engaging the Imagination of New Readers and Writers. Corwin Press, Thousand Oaks, Calif. "ISBN "1-4129-2788-9
- 2008 The Future of Education: Reimaging Our Schools from the Ground Up. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT. "ISBN "978-0-300-11046-3
- 2010 Learning in Depth: A Simple Innovation that Can Transform Schooling. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. "ISBN "978-0-226-19043-3
Awards and honors
- ^ Theodora Polito, Educational Theory as Theory of Culture: A Vichian perspective on the educational theories of John Dewey and Kieran Egan Educational Philosophy and Theory, Vol. 37, No. 4, 2005
- ^ a b Egan, K., & Judson, G. (2008). Of Whales and Wonder. Educational Leadership, 65(6), 20-25.
- ^ a b Egan, K. (2005). An imaginative approach to teaching. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- ^ http://www.educ.sfu.ca/kegan/KE%E2%80%99s%20Press%20Kit.pdf
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 July 2011. Retrieved 13 November 2010.. Accessed on 13 November 2010
- ^ "1991- Kieran Egan". Archived from the original on 10 June 2015.
- ^ "Kieran Egan: Teacher of the Years". Retrieved 19 October 2010.