See more Muses in popular culture articles on AOD.
Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
=> Muses in popular culture
[pageid] => 19974872
Sarcophagus known as the "Sarcophagus of the Muses",
representing the nine Muses and their attributes. Marble, first half of the 2nd century AD; found by the Via Ostiense.
Representations or analogues of one or more of the nine "Muses of "Greek mythology have appeared in many different modern fictional works.
The list of muses comprises:
- "Calliope, the muse of epic poetry
- "Clio, the muse of history
- "Erato, the muse of lyric poetry
- "Euterpe, the muse of song
- "Melpomene, the muse of tragedy
- "Polyhymnia, the muse of hymns
- "Terpsichore, the muse of dance
- "Thalia, the muse of comedy
- "Urania, the muse of astronomy
The Nine Muses
- In 2010, a South Korean all-female idol group debuted under the name '"Nine Muses'.
Film and television
- In the anime series "Love Live!, the musical group, μ's, is named after the Muses, and there are nine members, just as there are nine muses.
Film and television
- Calliope features in the 1997 "Walt Disney Pictures film "Hercules, appearing alongside the muses Clio, Melpomene, Terpsichore, and Thalia, who collectively serve as a "Greek chorus. The tallest of the five, Calliope sometimes acts as de facto leader and spokeswoman for the others. She was voiced by "Tony Award winner "Lillias White, who reprised the role in the subsequent "TV series.
- In the television supernatural drama "Charmed season 4 episode 9 "Muse to My Ear", the Charmed Ones must protect the muses from a warlock who is trapping them into a magical ring and using their inspiration to make the Forces of Evil more powerful.
- In episode 126 ("Out of Sync") from the animated series "Cyberchase, "Calliope plays her "lyre and she is one of the four Mount Olympus band members with "Apollo the Greek god of music (who plays the "gong), Himaropa the "siren (who plays the "horn), and "the Beast (who plays the "drums).
- In the anime series "Guilty Crown, main character Inori Yuzuriha is best known for her song Euterpe.
- In the "Supernatural episode "Fan Fiction" Calliope appears as the antagonist.
- Several muses are the focus of the 2007 musical "Xanadu, which is based on the 1980 film of the "same name. The story revolves around "Clio, who is played by "Kerry Butler.
- In "Daniel Quinn's "My Ishmael, the fictional planet Terpsichore is a land ravished by dancing, with dancing paralleling the rise of agriculture on Earth. Dancing (in an unspecified manner) speeds up the growth of the natives' "favorite foods".
Film and television
- The muse Terpsichore is the protagonist in the 1947 film "Down to Earth. She is portrayed by "Rita Hayworth.
- ""Terpsichorean" was a popular adjective in "Victorian "music hall "hyperbole. The long-running "BBC TV series "The Good Old Days recreated this style, with "Leonard Sachs playing a compère with a notable fondness for the word, and in the "Monty Python Cheese Shop sketch, John Cleese's character denies complaining about the music with the line "Heaven forbid. I am one who delights in all manifestations of the Terpsichorean muse."
- In the 1980 film "Xanadu, "Olivia Newton-John plays Kira, another version of Terpsichore, the muse of dancing and chorus, who inspires an artist "Michael Beck and his bandleader friend "Gene Kelly to open a nightclub.
- Terpsichore is mentioned in master poet "Tony Harrison's 1992 Film-Poem "The Gaze of the Gorgon: 'Terpsichore, the Muse who sees, her dances done by amputees'
- Terpsichore features in the 1997 "Walt Disney Pictures film "Hercules, appearing alongside the muses Calliope, Clio, Melpomene and Thalia, who collectively serve as a "Greek chorus. She was voiced by "Tony Award winner "LaChanze, who reprised the role in the subsequent "TV series.
- In the anime series "Cowboy Bebop, two characters' take their names from the muse: Valeria Terpsichore and her unseen, but alluded to, husband Ural Terpsichore.
- Terpsichore is a character in the 2007 musical "Xanadu, which is based on the 1980 film of the "same name. Her part is always played by a man in "drag. She was played by "Andre Ward in the original "Broadway production.
- The comic mask of Thalia featured in each title card of every "Three Stooges short produced from the 1945 "Idiots Deluxe until their final one in 1959, "Sappy Bull Fighters.
- Thalia features in the 1997 "Walt Disney Pictures film "Hercules, appearing alongside the muses Calliope, Clio, Melpomene and Terpsichore, who collectively serve as a "Greek chorus. Portrayed as short and plump, she has the deepest voice amongst the five Muses depicted, and true to nature, makes the funniest comments. She was voiced by "Roz Ryan, who reprised the role in the subsequent "TV series.
- In the "Static Shock episode "Hard as Nails", "Harley Quinn uses the alias "Thalia".
- Thalia is a character in the 2007 musical "Xanadu, which is based on the 1980 film of the "same name. Her part is always played by a man in "drag. She was played by Curtis Holbrook in the original "Broadway production.