See more Nicholas Marsicano articles on AOD.
Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
=> Nicholas Marsicano
[pageid] => 8509937
||October 1, 1908
||Painter and teacher
Nicholas Marsicano (1908 – 1991), American painter and teacher of the "New York School, was married to Dancer/Choreagrapher Merle Marsicano. He is survived by his widow, painter Susan Kamen Marsicano.
Marsicano's work was primarily based on the female figure.
- "Nicholas Marsicano, who taught painting and drawing at the Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art for 42 years, died at his home in Woodstock, N.Y., last Sunday (January 6, 1991). He was 82 years old."
Nicholas Marsicano was born October 1, 1908, "Shenandoah, Pennsylvania.
He was educated at the "Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, and later was accepted at the nearby "Barnes Foundation, along with "Ralston Crawford. During his years at the Barnes, Marsicano traveled to Europe and North Africa, Mexico, and United States.
Marsicano befriended many artists of his time including "Mark Rothko, "Jackson Pollock, "Franz Kline, Raoul Hague, "Phillip Guston, and others.
During his teaching career, his students included "Tom Wesselmann, "Eva Hesse, "Milton Glaser, "Joan Semmel, Thomas Nozkowski, and more.
"Guggenheim Fellowship, 1974.
- 1960-62 Whitney Museum of American Art Annuale, New York
- 1961-63 "Abstract American Drawings and Watercolors", The Museum of Modern Art, New York
- "Amarillo Museum of Art
- The Art Institute, Chicago
- Kresge Art Museum, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- The Figge Art Museum, Davenport, Iowa
- General Services Administration; Washington, DC.