See more Nimbula articles on AOD.
Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
[pageid] => 30742140
Nimbula was a computer software company that existed from 2008 to 2013. It developed software for the implementation of public and private "cloud computing environments.
The company was first incorporated as Benguela, based in "Menlo Park, California with a development center in "Cape Town, "South Africa. It was founded in late 2008 by Chris Pinkham and "Willem Van Biljon, who had developed the "Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2). The company raised a total of $20.75 million in venture funding from "Sequoia Capital, "Accel Partners and "VMware. Their software was designed to make it easier for service providers and enterprises to build, manage and deploy "infrastructure as a service (IaaS) offerings similar to Amazon EC2.
The company emerged from "stealth mode in June 2010 and changed its name to Nimbula. "Diane Greene and "Roelof Botha became members of the board of directors at that time. Eventually the company had its office in "Mountain View, California. A public "beta version of its software was announced in December 2010. Nimbula Director 1.0 was released in April 2011. Nimbula was Named a ‘Cool Vendor’ in Cloud Management by "Gartner in April 2012.
In October 2012, Nimbula joined the "OpenStack Foundation.
In March 2013, Nimbula was acquired by "Oracle Corporation.
Nimbula Director software allows users to implement IaaS-style "private, "public and "hybrid clouds. The software was aimed at both enterprise customers and service providers. It can manage both on- and off-premises infrastructure through a Web UI, an API or a command line interface.
Nimbula Director’s features include:
- Control access to local and external cloud resources with a policy based authorization system supporting multi-tenancy.
- Hands-off automated installation on bare metal
- Automated (zero touch) cluster expansion as new hardware is added
- API to manage local and external cloud resources
- Reduce demands on system administrators through low-touch automated cloud management.
- Multiple "hypervisor support from a single management pane
- Support for common cloud APIs like Amazon Web Services API
- Support for Linux and Windows "virtual machines (VMs)
- Integrate existing user services through support for Active Directory/LDAP
- "Elastic IPs and security groups
- Support for virtual ethernets, allowing creation of isolated Layer 2 networks
- Integrated system metrics and reporting that will allow for integration with chargeback systems
Nimbula's license agreement allowed deployment of the software on up to 40 "CPU cores without a license fee.
|Nimbula Director v1.0
||April 6, 2011
|Nimbula Director v1.5
||September 26, 2011
- Policy-based automation
- Persistent block store
- Customizable installer for OS
|Nimbula Director v2.0.1
||June 14, 2012
|Nimbula Director v2.0.2
||July 30, 2012
|Nimbula Director v2.0.3
||August 7, 2012
|Nimbula Director v188.8.131.52
||September 12, 2012
|Nimbula Director v2.0.4
||November 14, 2012
- ^ Charles Babcock (August 26, 2010). "Nimbula Secures $15 Million Venture Capital Investment". Information Week. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- ^ Jon Brodkin (June 15, 2010). "Amazon EC2 creators to launch cloud computing start-up: Benguela building cloud infrastructure software, with focus on virtualization". Network World.
- ^ a b Patrick Hoge (June 21, 2010). "Amazon vets start cloud computing firm". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- ^ http://gigaom.com/cloud/the-20-million-club-10-well-funded-cloud-startups/
- ^ https://venturebeat.com/2010/08/23/nimbula-funding/
- ^ http://www.readwriteweb.com/cloud/2010/06/former-aws-execs-launch-nimbula.php
- ^ a b "Diane Greene is back: Nimbula leaves the stealth mode and enters the IaaS cloud computing market". Virtualization.com. June 23, 2010. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- ^ http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/062310-amazon-ec2-cloud-startup.html
- ^ Antone Gonsalves (December 7, 2010). "Nimbula Launches Cloud OS In Public Beta". Information Week.
- ^ "Nimbula Announces Immediate Availability of Nimbula Director 1.0". Press release. April 6, 2011. Archived from the original on April 7, 2011. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- ^ "Nimbula Named a ‘Cool Vendor’ in Cloud Management by Leading Analyst Firm". Press release. April 16, 2012. Archived from the original on July 6, 2013. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- ^ http://nimbula.com/news/press_release/nimbula-joins-openstack-community/
- ^ http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/acquisitions/nimbula/index.html
- ^ a b "Nimbula Releases Nimbula Director 1.5 and Expands Cloud Partner Ecosystem". Press release. September 26, 2011. Archived from the original on October 4, 2011.
- ^ https://nimbula.com/secure/products/release_note/387/
- ^ https://nimbula.com/secure/products/release_note/406/
- ^ https://nimbula.com/secure/products/release_note/410/
- ^ https://nimbula.com/secure/products/release_note/439/
- ^ https://nimbula.com/secure/products/release_note/476/