See more Omani cuisine articles on AOD.
Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
=> Omani cuisine
[pageid] => 31319293
The cuisine of "Oman is a mixture of several staples of Asian foods. Dishes are often based on "chicken, "fish, and "lamb, as well as the staple of "rice. Most Omani dishes tend to contain a rich mixture of "spices, "herbs, and "marinades.
Although Omani cuisine varies within different regions of "Oman, most dishes across the country have a staple of "curry, cooked "meat, "rice, and "vegetables. Soups are also common and are usually made from "chicken, "lamb, and "vegetables (e.g., smoked "eggplant). The main meal is usually eaten in the middle of the day, while dinner is lighter.
- "Harees is "wheat mixed with meat or chicken cooked until it forms a thick paste eatent with the fingers or a spoon and served with ghee.
- "Kahwa is an Omani "coffee mixed with "cardamom powder, often served as a symbol of hospitality. It is often served with "dates and Omani "halwa.
- "Kebab is a dish of spiced and salted skewered meat (usually "chicken or "beef) barbecued or grilled, served with a side of "vegetables.
- Mashuai is a dish consisting of a whole spit-roasted "kingfish, served with a side of "lemon rice.
- "Machboos is a rice dish sometines flavored with "saffron and cooked in the same water that the chicken or meat was cooked in.
- Muqalab is "tripe and "pluck cooked with a variety of spices, including "cinnamon, "cardamom, "cloves, "black pepper, "ginger, "garlic, and "nutmeg.
- "Shuwaa is a meal eaten only on festive occasions. The dish consists of chunks of goats sheep cow or camel marinated in a spicy date paste and roasted in a special oven, which is a pit dug in the ground. This is usually a communal activity by an entire village. The meat is flavored with a variety of "spices, then wrapped in sacks made of dry leaves, which are in turn placed into the oven.
- Sakhana is a thick soup made from "wheat, "dates, "molasses, and "milk, typically eaten during "Ramadan.
- Albadhinajan mae tawarikh is a cake made from "eggplant, "dates and onions.
|This section needs expansion
. You can help by adding to it. (February 2012)
"Coffee is the national beverage, while "tea is drunk for hospitality. Other popular beverages include "laban (a kind of salty "buttermilk), yoghurt drinks, and "soft drinks.