The Virginia Portal
The "Commonwealth of Virginia or simply Virginia (named after "Queen Elizabeth I of England, who was known as the Virgin Queen), is a "U.S. state located in the "Southern United States and "Mid-Atlantic States. It is one of four "states that use the name "commonwealth. It is the "12th most populous state.
The "Colony of Virginia was the first part of "the Americas to be colonized permanently by England—laying the foundation for the "British Empire—and was nicknamed the Old Dominion by "King Charles II. It is one of the "original thirteen colonies of the "United States and was the tenth state to ratify the U.S. Constitution in 1788. In 1861, Virginia was the eighth state to secede from the Union and its capital, Richmond, became the national capital of the Confederate States of America.
Virginia is known as the "Mother of Presidents", because it is the birthplace of eight "U.S. presidents ("George Washington, "Thomas Jefferson, "James Madison, "James Monroe, "William Henry Harrison, "John Tyler, "Zachary Taylor, and "Woodrow Wilson), more than any other state, including four out of the first five, six out of the first ten, seven out of the first twelve, and eight of the first twenty-eight. Virginia has also been known as the "Mother of States", because portions of the original Colony subsequently became "Kentucky, "Indiana, "Illinois, and "West Virginia as well as some portions of "Ohio.
The "Battle of Blandford
), also called the Battle of Petersburg
, took place near "Petersburg, Virginia
on 25 April 1781, late in the "American War of Independence
. Roughly 2,300 British regulars under the command of Brigadier General "William Phillips
defeated about 1,000 militia under Major General "Baron von Steuben
The introduction of a British troop presence led by turncoat general "Benedict Arnold into Virginia in early 1781 prompted an increase in militia activity to counter the British force. The militia were, however, poorly trained and equipped, and were unable to prevent Arnold from moving freely. Arnold was reinforced in March 1781 by additional troops led by General Phillips, who targeted Petersburg in a raiding expedition. Militia forces led by von Steuben and "Peter Muhlenberg decided to make a stand at Blandford, then a separate community.
When the battle was joined, the outnumbered militia provided remarkably stiff resistance to the British advance, and executed a disciplined retreat across the "Appomattox River, avoiding a flanking attempt led by "John Graves Simcoe. They eventually retreated to "Richmond, where they joined forces with "Continental Army troops led by the "Marquis de Lafayette. The British continued raiding, and eventually joined forces with "Charles Cornwallis's army from "North Carolina.
(1734 – 1820) was an "American pioneer
, explorer, and "frontiersman
exploits made him one of the first "folk heroes
of the United States. Boone is most famous for his exploration and settlement of what is now "Kentucky
, which at the time was part of Virginia yet across the mountains from the settled areas. Despite some resistance from American Indian tribes such as the "Shawnee
, in 1775 Boone blazed his "Wilderness Road
through the "Cumberland Gap
in the "Appalachian Mountains
from "North Carolina
into Kentucky. Before the end of the 18th century, more than 200,000 European people migrated westward by following the route marked by Boone.
Boone was a "militia officer during the "Revolutionary War (1775–83), during which he was elected to the first of his three terms in the "Virginia General Assembly. Following the war, Boone worked as a surveyor and merchant, but fell deeply into debt through failed Kentucky "land speculation. In 1799 Boone emigrated to eastern "Missouri, where he spent most of the last two decades of his life. Boone remains an iconic figure in American history; his adventures — real and legendary — were influential in creating the archetypal Western hero of American folklore.
This month in Virginia history
- May 2, 1863: During the "Battle of Chancellorsville, General "Stonewall Jackson is shot behind his own lines, and dies several days later.
- May 5–7, 1864: The "Battle of the Wilderness is the first engagement between Generals "Grant and "Lee.
- May 14, 1607: "Jamestown is founded on an island in the "James River, upstream of the "Chesapeake Bay. (Historic Jamestowne, pictured)
- May 15, 1776: Virginia declares itself independent of the "British Empire, prior to the general "Declaration of Independence made later that year
- May 23, 1610: The "Third Supply arrives in Jamestown with desperately-needed provisions and new colonists, enabling continued survival of the colony
Random Virginia Article
A random generator will select an article about…
(note: generator may be slow)
Things you can do
Did you know...
- Capital: "Richmond, Virginia
- Total area: 110,862 sq.mi
- Highest elevation: 5,729 ft ("Mount Rogers)
- Population (2010 census) 8,001,024
- Date Virginia joined the united States: June 25, 1788
- Governor: "Ralph Northam (D)
- Lieutenant Governor: "Justin Fairfax (D)
- Attorney General: "Mark Herring (D)
- "Senators: "Tim Kaine (D), "Mark Warner (D)
- "Representatives: "Rob Wittman (R-1st), "Scott Rigell (R-2nd), "Robert C. Scott (D-3rd), "Randy Forbes (R-4th), "Robert Hurt (R-5th), "Bob Goodlatte (R-6th), "Eric Cantor (R-7th), "Jim Moran (D-8th), "Morgan Griffith (R-9th), "Frank Wolf (R-10th), "Gerry Connolly (D-11th)
Select [+] to view subcategories