Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
WikipediaAudio is not affiliated with Wikipedia or the WikiMedia Foundation.
The "Secretary of State of Arkansas is one of the elected constitutional officers of the "U.S. state of "Arkansas.
The current Secretary of State is the "Republican "Mark Martin, a former member of the "Arkansas House of Representatives from "Washington County in northwestern Arkansas.
The Secretary of State's Office is composed of seven divisions:
- The Building & Grounds Division maintains the "Arkansas State Capitol and its surrounding grounds and gardens.
- The Business & Commercial Services Division is responsible for filing "liens pursuant to the "Uniform Commercial Code, registering "business entities and "trademarks, collecting the state "franchise tax, and licensing "notaries public.
- The Communications & Education Division provides public education about "civics and the "History of Arkansas, and produces various state publications.
- The Elections Division administers elections, regulates "campaign finance and "lobbying, and ensures compliance with state and federal "election laws.
- The Fiscal Office deals with the internal financial, logistical, and personnel matters of the Office of the Secretary of State. They also distribute the "Arkansas and "United States flag.
- The Secretary also runs the State Capitol Gift Shop.
- The State Capitol Police provide security for the State Capitol building and police services for the Capitol Complex.
The Secretary of State also publishes the state's "administrative regulations and the state "gazette, the Arkansas Register.
"Democrats were elected exclusively to the office of Secretary of State from "Reconstruction until the retirement of "Charlie Daniels to run for State Auditor in 2010, when the first modern-day Republican to hold the office, Mark Martin, was elected.