See more Shepherd%27s crook articles on AOD.
Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
=> Shepherd's crook
[pageid] => 4485330
William Blake's hand painted print for his poem ""The Shepherd
" depicts the "idyllic
scene of a shepherd watching his flock with a shepherd's crook. This image represents copy B, printed and painted in 1789 and currently held by the "Library of Congress
The shepherd's crook is an important albeit primitive device used by "shepherds. Sheep can feed on rough pasture which is unsuitable for cattle or agriculture, including mountainous terrain. Seasonal herding along mountainous routes gave rise to what are now known as "drovers' roads. A strong, multi-purpose stick can be used for balance, examining dangerous undergrowth and for "defence against attack by "predators.
The innovation of a "hook facilitates the recovery of fallen animals by ensnaring them by neck or leg. For this reason the crook has been used as a religious symbol of care (particularly in difficult circumstances), including the Christian bishop's "crosier.
The shepherd's crook is also symbolic of the spiritual Kundalini energy described in Eastern religions, which rises up the spine and over into the third eye ("pineal gland) and crown chakra ("pituitary gland) when a being reaches enlightenment.
The shape of the Shepherd's crook is also named the "Johnson Curve" for highly intensive engineering calculations.
In medicine, the term shepherd’s crook is used to describe a "right coronary artery that follows an unusually high and winding route. This variant has a prevalence of about 5%. It imposes technical problems in "angioplasty procedures.
"Thalia, "Muse of comedy in "Greek mythology, was usually seen holding a shepherd's crook.
The shepherd's crook and the "flail (an agricultural tool) are insignia of pharaonic authority: the "Crook and flail.
- ^ Morris Eaves, Robert N. Essick, and Joseph Viscomi (eds.). "Songs of Innocence, copy B, object 4 (Bentley 5, Erdman 5, Keynes 5) "The Shepherd"". "William Blake Archive. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- ^ Caeremoniale Episcoporum (Vatican Polyglott Press, 1985)
- ^ Kundalini Rising: Exploring the Energy of Awakening p.303. Retrieved 25 March 2014. (Sounds True Inc, 2009)
- ^ Shriki, Jabi E.; Shinbane, Jerold S.; Rashid, Mollie A.; Hindoyan, Antereas; Withey, James G.; DeFrance, Anthony; Cunningham, Mark; Oliveira, George R.; Warren, Bill H. (2012-03-01). "Identifying, Characterizing, and Classifying Congenital Anomalies of the Coronary Arteries". RadioGraphics. 32 (2): 453–468. "ISSN 0271-5333. "doi:10.1148/rg.322115097.
- ^ Gossman, David E.; Tuzcu, E. Murat; Simpfendorfer, Conrad; Beck, Gerald J. (1988-01-01). "Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty for shepherd's crook right coronary artery stenosis". Catheterization and Cardiovascular Diagnosis. 15 (3): 189–191. "ISSN 1097-0304. "doi:10.1002/ccd.1810150313.