Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
WikipediaAudio is not affiliated with Wikipedia or the WikiMedia Foundation.
Popular culture references to the "United Nations have been made in all media, including "film, "books and "video games. In many instances, the "United Nations (or a fictional agency thereof) figures in a storyline.
- The "United Nations Godzilla Countermeasures Force" appeared in the "Godzilla film series.
- The movie "The Art of War, included an agent of a fictional UN espionage agency.
- The British film "In the Loop featured the UN headquarters extensively.
- In "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Admiral Nelson goes to the United Nations with his plan to save the world from the burning "Van Allen belt.
- In the movie "A Thief in the Night, the UN adds another title to its new distinction as a "one-world government. It is now called UNITE, standing for "United Nations Imperium of Total Emergency."
- In the "Animatrix short film "The Second Renaissance, the UN rejects the machine nation Zero-One's applications for membership. The rebuff sets off a war that would later end with the defeat of the humans by the machine army. The UN headquarters is destroyed by a machine ambassador signing an armistice document.
- The 1953 Columbia Pictures B-movie "The Glass Wall was the first Hollywood movie filmed on location at the New York UN headquarters building.
- In the Donald Duck cartoon, "Donald in Mathmagic Land (1959), the United Nations building is used as an example of the usage of the mathematical "golden rectangle in modern architecture.
- "Alfred Hitchcock, director of the 1959 film "North by Northwest, wanted to film at the UN but did not have permission, so actor "Cary Grant was filmed by a hidden camera while approaching the entrance. Other UN scenes were done using a "sound stage and "special effects.
- In the alternate reality of the 1971 film "Quest for Love, "World War II and the "Vietnam War never happened. There is no United Nations, but rather the "League of Nations still exists. The protagonist, coming from our reality, finds that the Secretary General of this surviving League of Nations is "John F. Kennedy.
- In the 1973 film "Live and Let Die, the opening shows MI6 Agent Dawes, on a mission at UN Headquarters, getting killed by an ear piercing shock delivered by one of Dr Kananga's henchmen.
- The United Nations is the setting for a mouse variation thereof called the Rescue Aid Society in the Disney movie "The Rescuers (1977), and its sequel "The Rescuers Down Under (1990).
- The 1997 action/thriller film "The Peacemaker features a terrorist nuclear bomb plot against the United Nations headquarters in the context of the "Yugoslav Wars.
- The 2001 film "Black Hawk Down shows peacekeepers aiding the US forces during the "Battle of Mogadishu.
- In the 2004 film "Hotel Rwanda Roméo Dallaire, a Major-General of "UNAMIR, helps "Paul Rusesabagina to save dozens of civilians during the Rwandan civil war
- The 2005 film "The Interpreter was filmed on location in the UN.
- The United Nations assembly hall inside the "UN Headquarters is depicted in the 2006 horror parody "Scary Movie 4. An emergency session is called, where "U.S. President Baxter Harris (played by "Leslie Nielsen) announces and unveils a new weapon designed to combat the alien triPods to the "General Assembly.
- The 2007 film "Shake Hands with the Devil tells the story of General "Roméo Dallaire's frustrated efforts to stop the madness of the "Rwandan genocide during his commission as the Major-General of "UNAMIR.
- The 2008 biopic "Che shot scenes inside the UN Headquarters. Shots showed "Ernesto "Che" Guevara speaking at the UN General assembly.
- In "The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008), a race of "extraterrestrials sends a representative, Klaatu, the film's protagonist, to make contact with the human race by communicating with world leaders at the United Nations.
- The 2010 political documentary film "U. N. Me features footage surreptitiously shot inside the "U.N. headquarters building without permission.
- In the 2016 Marvel Studios film "Captain America: Civil War, the United Nations building in "Vienna is the site of a bombing, and the United Nations is the organization that approves and writes the Sokovia Accords.
- The 2016 film "The Siege of Jadotville portrays the "Siege of Jadotville in 1961 and the role of the United Nations in the "Congo Crisis including the death of "United Nations Secretary-General "Dag Hammarskjöld.
- In the television series "seaQuest DSV, following the growing colonization of the world's oceans, the world is brought into conflict over underwater territories which eventually leads to the collapse of the "United Nations. The "United Earth Oceans is formed to take its place.
- in the made-for-television films "Death Train and "Night Watch, "Pierce Brosnan plays an agent of the fictional United Nations Anti-Crime Organisation (UNACO).
- In "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, network president "Jordan McDeere purchases the rights to a television show entitled Nations, to be set behind the scene in the United Nations.
- In the 1969 movie of the week "Gidget Grows Up, ""Gidget" Lawrence moves to New York and becomes a tour guide at the United Nations.
- In the 1983 science fiction "miniseries "V, the UN Secretary General makes first contact with the aliens known as the "Visitors inside their transport, which lands on the UN headquarters' rooftop.
- In the science fiction series "Space: Above and Beyond, the colonization of deep space and the war against an alien race called the Chigs are done under a United Nations banner.
- The UN plays a prominent role in the "eighth season of television series "24, when terrorists carry out a political assassination plot targeting a Middle Eastern leader who is signing a peace treaty at the "UN Headquarters with the "President of the United States.
- The United Nations serves as the setting for most of the second half of ""The Terrible Secret of Turtle Bay", the pilot episode of the animated series "The Venture Bros.
- The Australian series "Answered by Fire is about 1999 East Timor conflicts and the "United Nations Mission in East Timor.
- The British series "Warriors is about the British forces part of the "United Nations Protection Force during the Yugoslav Wars.
- On the animated show "Animaniacs, the Warners sing a song about the U.N. to the tune of Down By the Riverside, referencing the building's location on the shore of the East River.
- The United Nations exist in the "Defiance universe. On May 27, 2015 the United Nations granted land in "Brazil to build a Votan colony and on March 8, 2023 the Votan diplomat was killed outside the UN building in New York and led to war. The Earth Republic government established after the war is led by remnants of the United Nations.
- In an episode of "Family Guy, called ""E. Peterbus Unum", "Peter Griffin creates his own small nation within the United States. After becoming a member of the United Nations, he asks for a seat at the front because he couldn't hear or see. "Kofi Annan and the other member states ridicule him.
- In the science fiction series "The Expanse, the United Nations is the governing body of a united Earth, competing with the Mars-based MCR over asteroid belt resources.
- In the political drama series "House of Cards, "Claire Underwood then First-Lady, becomes UN "Ambassador in a recess appointment. The UN plays a large role in the third season of the show as the Underwood couple goes head-to-head with the russian President in a peacekeeping resolution.
- In the cyperpunk science fiction series "Altered Carbon, the United Nations is the unified government of all of humanity, which has since established a hundred-light-year interstellar empire.
In video games
- The World Assembly in the online game "Jennifer Government: NationStates was originally called the United Nations, until a cease-and-desist letter from the real life UN forced the creator to rename it.
- In "Overwatch, the UN forms the eponymous international team of heroes to combat a robot uprising.
- The Ghosts, a fictional black ops special forces unit in "Ghost Squad are established under an organization funded by the UN.
- In the "Halo series, the "United Nations Space Command is the military branch of the unified government of all humankind.
- The "Global Defense Initiative in the "Command & Conquer series is a branch of the United Nations.
- The Chimera, one of the three playable factions in the real-time strategy game "Act of Aggression, is a covert multinational task force formed by the UN.
- A large part of "Deus Ex revolves around the United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition, phonetically pronounced UNATCO for short.
- The United Nations is a World Wonder in "Sid Meier's "Civilization series. In later games the organization activates diplomatic victory.
- In Sid Meier's "Alpha Centauri, the Unity exploration mission was started by the UN, and they are one of the factions that emerges shortly before Planetfall in the form of the Peacekeepers.
- In "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, the protagonist's involvement in the story is at the request of the United Nations.
- In "Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere, a futuristic version of the UN exists, called the Neo United Nations (NUN), with Gabriel Clarkson as Secretary General.
- In "Ace Combat Infinity, United Nations Forces is the formal armed forces formed by the United Nations, to maintain global stability in the aftermath of an "impact event called the Ulysses Disaster
- In "Surveillance Kanshisha, the UN establishes a counter-terrorist unit called Shadow Sword in order to safeguard the Earth-Mars space travel route and the people using it from a mysterious terrorist group called Neo-Kleit.
- In "SimCity 3000, the UN building can be built as a landmark.
- In the grand strategy science fiction game "Stellaris, one of the fates of the human race is to become the United Nations of Earth, which is most likely the successor to the UN of modern times.
- The Civilization Committee in "Grand Theft Auto IV is a parody of the UN and has an "headquarters identical to the UN's.
- "Tom Clancy's The Division about the aftermath of a pandemic in New York City features the United Nations Headquarters.
- The UN was disbanded on July 27, 2052 in the "Fallout series. This led to rising international tensions over the coming decades and eventually to a global "nuclear war in 2077, destroying civilization across the globe.
- United Nations Cosmo Force, a space military branch administrated by the UN in the anime "Space Battleship Yamato 2199, in which the Yamato sails as a UNCF. However this affiliation is only in the remake, and there is no mention of the UN in the original run of "Space Battleship Yamato.
- "U.N. Spacy, a fictional military arm of the Earth U.N. Government (地球統合政府 Chikyuu Tougou Seifu) from the Japanese anime series "Macross.
- The Gutsy Galaxy Guard (A.K.A. "GGG"; pronounced "Three-G"), a branch of the United Nations Earth Defense Force in "The King of Braves GaoGaiGar. The Secretary General of the UN in this show's universe is identified by name and visage as the character "Rose Approval
- The United Nations Special Agency NERV has a significant role in "Neon Genesis Evangelion. The United Nations in the series is powerful and has a standing army (unlike in the real world, where UN Peacekeepers are small numbers of troops donated by countries). They directly control NERV, an organisation whose purpose is to defend humankind from the children of Adam.
- "FLAG, a documentary-style anime series from 2006, is about a fictional war in central Asia and the UN flag that is raised above the battlefield which may be the key to peace. United Nation peacekeepers involved in the anime are known as UNF (United Nations Forces) peacekeepers.
- UN peacekeepers participated in the Central/South American wars and in the Second Korean War in "Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG.
- In "Mobile Suit Gundam 00, the United Nations leads a large-scale UN Peacekeeping Army formed by the "World Economic Union, the "Human Reform Alliance, and the "Advanced European Union, to defeat the paramilitary organization Celestial Being. In the series' second season, the UN is reformed as the Earth Sphere Federation, designed to unite all countries as one real entity. The UN General Assembly hall was shown in the last episode of the first season.
- "S.H.I.E.L.D. is a planetary defense/intelligence service often depicted as UN-affiliated in the "Marvel Universe line of comic books.
- T.H.U.N.D.E.R., the eponymous organization from Tower Comics' "T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, stood for The Higher United Nations Defense Enforcement Reserves.
- During the "Bronze Age, "Wonder Woman worked for a short time as a secretary at the UN.
- In the "Wildstorm universe the UN, through its top-secret Special Security Council, takes an active role in monitoring and dealing with "posthumans and formed both the superpowered "Stormwatch - overseen from a satellite by their director "The Weatherman" - and the non-superpowered "Team Achilles as a response. Stormwatch's leader "Jackson King is often portrayed in the UN buildings in New York. When King walks out and forms "The Monarchy, the UN assign special agent Morro to monitor his activities.
- In several issues of "Superman, he is mentioned as having coordinated his activities with the United Nations.
- The UN is a recurring character in the "Polandball universe, often portrayed as a teacher, a judge or as a mediator, often ignored by the other countries.
- In issue 9 of the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures comic, the "Chameleon" double agent character steals top secret UN weapon plans.
- Dr. Arthur M. Keppel-Jones' 1947 novel "When Smuts Goes, a "dystopian "future history of "South Africa foresaw a future when "apartheid would be dismantled by a military invasion and conquest by United Nations troops. The UN troops in the book are depicted as flying a fictional ""Four Freedoms Flag", as the actual "United Nations flag had not been adopted at the time of writing.
- Srivijaya by Raymond G. Trombley is a novel about a terrorist group that attempts to coerce the UN Security Council into a resolution.
- United Nations International Critical Response and Tactical Team (UNICRATT) appears in the novel "Sahara by "Clive Cussler.
- In the "Seafort Saga by "David Feintuch the United Nations is the government of Earth and its "colonies, which exercises control through the "United Nations Naval Service.
- In "All-American Girl, Samantha Madison is the teen ambassador to the United Nations.
- The United Nations appears as the governing body of Earth in "The Forever War by "Joe Haldeman, while its military arm is the United Nations Exploratory Force.
- In "Larry Niven's "Known Space universe, the UN is the government of Earth and is involved in a long-standing "cold war with the independent "Asteroid Belt, which nearly turns into hot war in "A World of Ptavvs. The "Amalgamated Regional Militia began as a UN agency, and by the time of the books has become the de facto Earth government.
- One of the novels in the "Choose Your Own Adventure book series is called UN Adventure, where the reader is a "Model United Nations delegate who can be tasked to handle diplomatic assignments. One of them is verifying the existence of nuclear weapons inside the fictional former Soviet republic of Arkistan.
- In "Arthur C. Clarke's 1953 novel "Childhood's End a major character is Rikki Stormgren, the Secretary-General of the United Nations, a native of Finland who is chosen by the mysterious alien "Overlords", who took over the Earth, as their only liaison with the human race.
- A recurring phrase in the "CHERUB series of books is "Why don't you write a letter to the United Nations?", upon someone claiming unfair treatment or a breach of the rules of a training exercise.
- In "Isaac Asimov's "Shah Guido G., the United Nations becomes a tyrannical and oppressive world government, with a dynasty of hereditary Secretaries-General, the title shortened to "Sekjen", acting as global absolute monarchs and ruling the "Earth from a levitating island called "Atlantis.
- "Poul Anderson's "The Psychotechnic League starts in the aftermath of a devastating "nuclear war in 1958 (a future date at the time of writing). The United Nations is re-founded at a conference in "Rio de Janeiro.The UN creates a special corps of ""Un-Men", the name having the double connotation of their being "UN Men" and of having superhuman powers. The UN is the unequivocal good guy of the series, reflecting Anderson's liberal views.
- In the "Left Behind series of novels by "Tim LaHaye and "Jerry B. Jenkins, based on the "Christian eschatological viewpoint of the "end of the world, a major "villain is the Romanian UN Secretary General "Nicolae Carpathia, who turns out to be the "Antichrist.
- The plot of "Philip K. Dick's "Martian Time-Slip (1964), set in a human "colony on "Mars, begins with a character trying to stake a claim to the seemingly worthless "Franklin D. Roosevelt "mountain range after receiving an insider tip that the United Nations plans to build a huge apartment complex there.
- In the "dystopian future of "Philip K. Dick's "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch (1965) temperatures are so high that in most of the world it is unsafe to be outside without cooling gear. The UN is the government of Earth and has initiated a "draft" for colonizing the nearby planets.
- Emmanuel De Paolo, UN Secretary General, is a major character in "Ben Bova's "Millennium. In 1999 (a future date at the time of writing) the Secretary General watches helplessly as Americans and Soviets escalate towards a seemingly inevitable "nuclear war when suddenly, the American and Soviet Moon colonists join forces and capture their respective countries' anti-ballistic missile satellites - giving them the power to interdict missiles and thus prevent the war. The Secretary General teams up with the rebels and gets many smaller nations to join, encouraged by the promise of effective "weather control from orbit. Angry New York mobs set the UN Headquarters on fire.
- In "Robert Van Kampen's novel The Fourth Reich, "Adolf Hitler's spirit is released from Hell and enters an embryo created from his cloned DNA. He's then born in Russia and grows up to become that country's dictator, eventually revealing his true identity to the world before the UN Assembly General and takes up the role of the Antichrist predicted in Christian eschatology.
- In "James S. A. Corey's "The Expanse series of science fiction novels, the United Nations is the governing body of a united Earth, competing with the Mars-based MCR over asteroid belt resources.
- In ""Summertime Blues", "Eddie Cochran sings "I'm gonna take my problem to the United Nations", appealing the decisions of a school-age boy's boss and parents that interfere with his summer social life.
- In "Megadeth's 2007 album "United Abominations, The United Nations is described as "a blot on the face of humanity". On the cover of their album "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? the band's mascot "Vic Rattlehead is seen standing in front of the UN building after a devastating nuclear war, with a sign "For sale".
- In "Operation", from "Jamie T's 2007 album "Panic Prevention, he repeatedly sings "Take your problem to United Nations. Tell old Kofi about the situation", referring to "Kofi Annan, who was Secretary-General of the United Nations at the time Jamie T wrote the song, but not by the time the album was released.
- In "The Words That Maketh Murder", from "PJ Harvey's 2011 album "Let England Shake, Harvey sings "What if I take my problem to the United Nations?", referring both to Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues" and the United Nations' stated mission to promote peace.
Similar fictional organizations
Similar-themed world or galactic bodies that are modeled on the UN in some way include:
- Allied Nations
- "Democratic Order of Planets (DOOP) from "Futurama.
- Earth Sphere Unified Nation (ESUN) and other related organizations from the "Gundam franchise.
- Federated Territories from "The Fifth Element. World government in 2263. It consists of Earth and its space-faring territories.
- The "Galactic Republic from "Star Wars movies and books.
- "Global Community, from "Left Behind. In the Left Behind series of novels and films, the UN is renamed the Global Community by "Nicolae Carpathia shortly after he was elected the new "UN Secretary-General. The Global Community is meant to be the "one world government "prophecised in the "Bible.
- "League of Non-Aligned Worlds, "Earth Alliance, and "Interstellar Alliance from the "Babylon 5 television series. The Babylon 5 station itself was originally created as a UN in space with a council comprising the major powers of the setting, namely the Earth Alliance, the Centauri, the Narn, the Vorlons, the Minbari and the League (whose members are individually represented but they share a single seat and vote on the council).
- One Nation Earth (aka O.N.E.), from the "Apocalypse film series, and headed by Franco Macalousso. O.N.E. is meant to be the one-world government as prophecised in the Bible.
- United Forces from "The Legend of Korra.
- "United Nations Intelligence Taskforce (UNIT) in "Doctor Who – later redesignated 'Unified Intelligence Taskforce' because of UN objections to the use of 'United Nations'.
- "United Federation of Planets from "Star Trek.
- "United Powers League (UPL) and United Earth Directorate (UED) in "StarCraft.
- United World Organization in the "Batman television series.
- United World Confederacy in the 2012 movie "Iron Sky, though it is still referred to in dialogue as "the UN".
- Systems Alliance in the "Mass Effect video game series. The Citadel and its Council, comprising the three great powers of the Asari, Salarians and Turians, also function as an interstellar, interspecies United Nations. The Systems Alliance gains a seat on the Council after the events of the first game.