Share this page on
Article provided by Wikipedia
WikipediaAudio is not affiliated with Wikipedia or the WikiMedia Foundation.
Wilma Subra (born 1943) is an American environmental scientist. She is President of the Subra Company, an environmental consulting firm.
Subra was born in "Morgan City, Louisiana, and was raised there and in nearby "Bayou Vista. Her father was a chemist, and her grandfather an oyster fisherman. She obtained a bachelor's degree in microbiology and chemistry in 1965 from the "University of Southwestern Louisiana in "Lafayette, and her master's a year later.
From 1967 until 1981 Sabra worked for the Gulf South Research Institute. She founded the Subra Company in May 1981 to help people facing problems because of "environmental health issues.
Subra served for seven years as vice-chair of the "Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) National Advisory Council for Environmental Policy and Technology, for six years on the EPA's National Environmental Justice Advisory Council, and for five years on the National Advisory Committee of the US Representative to the Commission for Environmental Cooperation. She appeared in the 2010 documentary "Gasland.
- ^ a b Jacqueline Vaughn, Waste Management: A Reference Handbook, ABC-CLIO, 2009, p. 163.
- ^ Sharon, Cohen. "Genial Grandmother Is 'Top Gun' in Environmental Activism", Associated Press, October 21, 2001.
- ^ a b "Biography of Wilma Subra", Environmental Protection Agency, 2007.
- ^ a b Peggy Frankland, Women Pioneers of the Louisiana Environmental Movement, University Press of Mississippi, 2013, p. 167.
- ^ Barbara L. Allen, Uneasy Alchemy: Citizens and Experts in Louisiana's Chemical Corridor Disputes, MIT Press, 2003, p. 124.
- ^ "Meet the 1999 MacArthur Fellows", MacArthur Foundation
- ^ "2008 Environmental Justice Conference: Wilma Subra". Princeton University. Retrieved 2013-03-07.
- "Conversations with Advocates of Fair Growth" Commonweal
- "Interview with CHE Partner, Wilma Subra", Collaborative on Health and the Environment
- "A Letter from Wilma Subra to New York State: Fracking vs. Water", October 1, 2009
- "Wilma Subra Notes from the Hurricane Impacted area", Global Community Network, September 16, 2005
- Wolf, Vicki. "Wilma Subra: Chemist helping communities find justice in toxic environment", Citizens League for Environmental Action Now, February 2009.